Can I swap an ECM/prom in 1992 Silverado k1500 with different one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bogthebuilder

Reaction score
I have a 1992 k1500 Silverado with a 350/700r4, z71 package. Was told by the shop that my Prom was not working right and would need to replace. The problem is that the truck has ECM 16146299 with PROM AWLC 7710. I have been told by numerous sources that this prom was for CA emissions vehicles abs hard to find. My question to you is could I swap the ECM and prom from a different vehicle that would be compatible with the truck I have? Is so, which ECM and Proms would work? I would appreciate any help on this. The truck has a new engine and transmission but doesn’t run right. I’m just keeping her original as it’s just a low use truck and don’t want to spend lots of money putting aftermarket parts. Thanks
I have the same truck with the original engine. Mine is a sidestep. I just recently purchased a new eprom for mine and it has made a big difference. Shifting and performance have improved. I was skeptical of the supplier because I read some bad reviews online. It took them 2 months to get it to me up here in Canada. I thought I was scammed, as the supplier does not communicate well after purchase.