Bought a CC Dually 454 Whipple

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If I decide to add that 3rd upper OL I think I'll need to find another set of those frame mounts and shorten them so the truck isn't just riding them all the time. Even this has pushed the uppers closer and I don't have much travel before they engage.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm thinking the way ahead with the overloads is going to be me grabbing another set of those frame mounts dealies and shortening them. I can't redrill the existing mounts and I don't want to redrill the frame. I got my front mudflaps on per the instructions and they only use the existing factory hole and 2 more that go into the flares? I'm thinking I'll punch one more that goes into the fender itself up top.

You must be registered for see images attach

The fronts spray a helluva mess onto the leading edge of the rear dually fenders.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
All 4 of my Husky splash guards have been on for over a year and 19k miles attached like that...they are still solid.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
All 4 of my Husky splash guards have been on for over a year and 19k miles attached like that...they are still solid.

That's encouraging to hear, mine have less than 100 miles on them.

Today was supposed to be UCA bushing day, but I ran into troubles on the lift. I would have had to unload the torsion bars and did not have the tools for that. Whenever I tried setting the LCA on a stationary object to get the UCA off of the downstop, it pointed the ass end of the truck down in a way that made me a bit uncomfortable. This thing fits on the lift like 10 pounds of **** in a 5 pound bag as it is with the majority of the ass of the truck behind the lift so I bailed on that. Going to have to suffer in my driveway with this job, but it's not near as bad to do off the lift as an exhaust gasket or trans range switch. Here's the only pic I shot to try and capture the stance, though it really hasn't changed. Shameless plug of my friend's F-Teen Thousand and camper that puts mine to shame.

I went after the easy thing first. It ended up being extra easy cuz the tranny and everything down there was nice and warm, the plugs came right out. I'll likely ohm out the old one as it's MUCH cleaner and consider slapping it back in after getting it 100% clean. It looks like a bent pin may have been why my backup lights weren't working seeing how the pin that's bent controls just that.

Sorry, crappy pic. It's the pin in the middle of the big plug on top, looks different than the bottom. Next I went for the exhaust gasket that didn't exist. Slamming the thing full of exhaust cement does an alright job for a while. Stuff is pretty tough and took a good bit to clean up. I didn't get it 100%, but ran my finger over it and it felt good enough. I think what's left is filling in pits for the most part.

I nabbed a Remflex gasket.

It claims to deal with warped flanges well. It didn't crush as much as I thought it would, but it was quiet in the cab.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I finally put together why I had so much trouble getting the cat flange lined up on the lift the last time and zero issues on the ground.

This is with the pressure released.

The leaf pack drops onto the tailpipe and prevents you from being able to maneuver the thing. I ended up lowering the truck farther onto the 2x4 to be able to pitch the exhaust to mate it back up. I also had to loosen the manifold bolts to maneuver the downpipes. I then forgot to retorque them and the truck sounded like ASS. I figured the new gasket was a fail so set sail for home. The first time I cracked into the gas though it sounded like the flipper dually and I instantly realized my mistake so headed back and torqued the 6 nuts. Nice and quiet again. I'll check it more closely tomorrow when I set up for the UCA bushings in the driveway. For something I suspect I'll fight and potentially fail, I prefer to have the option of getting pissed and letting it sit overnight without inconveniencing my transportation alternatives (Corvette on bald tires) or requiring a ride home.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the overloads touching the brackets as it sits unloaded?

It's when you add the camper that it would matter anyway, right?

I'm sure it would be an improvement.

Did it that 12,000# GVWR Cab & Chassis ever come in a a crew cab truck?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are the overloads touching the brackets as it sits unloaded?

It's when you add the camper that it would matter anyway, right?

I'm sure it would be an improvement.

Did it that 12,000# GVWR Cab & Chassis ever come in a a crew cab truck?

Probably, I think even the HD came in crew cab didn't it? 1 of the 4 upper overload tips is touching on flat ground. It's annoying to listen to, but ride doesn't really seem to have taken a dump. I probably need more time for it to annoy me into modding the brackets. The other thing that does is give me a bigger head start before needing to air up more with the bags when the camper is on. I didn't mention that I made a plywood shim yesterday to pitch the camper less ass down. Once the bushings are done I'll be ready to take it back to the hangar and test fit it to the camper and see how it looks.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So the single added upper overload really does the trick. This is with the bags empty.

I need a longer hitch shank so I can drop it down one more. This will allow me to put another chain link in the WD hitch which prevents the nose from bobbing in this configuration. If I do that now it hikes the front of the trailer up too high.

In a couple of hours I plan to tackle the UCA bushings. Next up is the tilt column joint, but I have no idea what I'm doing there so open to input. I don't know what parts/tools I'll need or what exactly I'll be doing. The joint had a bunch of slop in it and feels like the sort of thing that'll send you into the ditch at 80 all loaded up like in the pic above.