BNielsen's 2000 Chevy K3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like you just need a bigger fuse.
Like I said there was a 30A in place, as much trouble as I have with electrical I'd rather fix the issue proper instead of doing what the PO did and ad a bigger fuse.
I'm wondering now if that's why my turn signals quit? Something in the stalk got burnt out from the bigger fuse being in place?

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I'd just find a small bolt, then jam it into the fuse spot.
Tin foil wadded up works here if a bolt isn't handy.

Or, load the thing up and I'll take the problem child off your hands. My wife would be very pleased.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd just find a small bolt, then jam it into the fuse spot.
A chunk of 12-ga wire looped into each side would probably work just as well.
Tin foil wadded up works here if a bolt isn't handy.

Or, load the thing up and I'll take the problem child off your hands. My wife would be very pleased.
I'm not giving up yet, and if I did I've got three people begging me to sell it now,

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first started driving my truck, there were all kinds of wiring issues with the tail lights. I ended up finding 2 spots where the wires had been smashed over the years. Replaced that wiring and it has been great. I'd follow the wires...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here's a thought: unplug the taillight harness right at the firewall, install a fuse, and see if it pops. That'll give you an idea of where the problem is.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I first started driving my truck, there were all kinds of wiring issues with the tail lights. I ended up finding 2 spots where the wires had been smashed over the years. Replaced that wiring and it has been great. I'd follow the wires...
Both trucks have similar wiring issues honestly. Both had janky a$$ trailer wiring for the bumper as well as the 5th wheel hookups, funky brake controller wiring, extra wiring for **** not even on the truck, both blew fuses chronically because of damaged wiring; as much as I hate automotive wiring I'm starting to get good at it.

Here's a thought: unplug the taillight harness right at the firewall, install a fuse, and see if it pops. That'll give you an idea of where the problem is.
That's what I was thinking, I'll have to try after work tomorrow. Hopefully it's just something simple, there's a lot more distance on this truck wiring wise compared to my ECSB

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Too bad it's a blade style fuse and you can't just shove a .22 cartridge in its place.
That reminds me, at the swap meet Saturday, I got to explain to a kid and his mom, how automotive fuses used to be made of glass and metal, and came in little metal boxes that you bought at the auto parts store. One of the vendors had one of the metal racks that every parts house had on the counter, for sale, and they thought it was neat but had NO IDEA what it was or for.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welp. Taillights unhooked, still popped. Taillight harness unhooked, still popped. I don't have time this even to chase it any further, but I'm wondering if maybe it's something left over from the old brake controller that was in the truck, I think I saw something on the harness yesterday when I was under the dash.