Best Wiper Blades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well damn. I was excited about those, too. I actually run their direct replacement factory style blades on my '70 Monte Carlo and like them just fine. I wonder if the skipping you experienced had anything to do with the different design on the earlier wiper arms... Did you have the same skipping issue with the Icons? Because I get none of that.

No, Icons are better about that. Now I know everyone loves Icon's and they are the best thing ever but my experience is that they are miserable at night with oncoming traffic. They leave a film of water droplets every pass and when oncoming lights hit the glass you are completely blind. You can see better if you leave the wipers off... Pissed me off too because they're expensive and I bought 3 or 4 sets over a few months thinking maybe it was just a fluke.

I want to like Icons but I can't bring myself to buy anymore...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No, Icons are better about that. Now I know everyone loves Icon's and they are the best thing ever but my experience is that they are miserable at night with oncoming traffic. They leave a film of water droplets every pass and when oncoming lights hit the glass you are completely blind. You can see better if you leave the wipers off... Pissed me off too because they're expensive and I bought 3 or 4 sets over a few months thinking maybe it was just a fluke.

I know exactly what you mean. That's the whole reason I'm in the market for a new set on the 'burb right now. Sucks that they did that so quickly in your case though, mine take at least 5-6 months minimum before they start acting up like that at all.

Maybe I'll buy a set of the Tricos just to try out (not that I don't believe you, I'm just dumb like that) and a set of something more factory-ish to swap on during the warm months. (If you couldn't tell, I REALLY like the beam style in the winter) If the Tricos skip too badly I'll just package them up and get my money back from Amazon.

Also thanks for the heads up about Raineaters, mistaake. Never heard of them before. Might have to pick up a set to try.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just found out that AC Delco sells beam blades, going to try some of those unless anyone has negative experiences with them. They're actually cheaper than the Tricos by a couple bucks. If that doesn't do the trick then it's back to factory for me.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
It sure is something to see the opinions in here. I spoke up quickly about the Icon blades, and to clarify, I'm running brand new wiper arms in the proper R/L orientation. Also a new windshield too. The blades don't slip or skip or bounce. They don't leave droplets. They don't do anything except leave my windshield clear and clean through the whole sweep pattern, after each pass.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They don't do anything except leave my windshield clear and clean through the whole sweep pattern, after each pass.

For real? You don't get any missed glass on the passenger side at all? I mean in my case it's not super noticeable but both trucks do the exact same thing on the passenger side with Icons. There's about a 1.5" strip on the outside that just doesn't quite get hit. The affected area gets smaller as you get closer to the center of the sweep.

Like I said I really don't get any chatter with them or any weirdness at first, but at around 6-9 months they just start streaking really bad and not clearing well. Maybe I'm just expecting too much...

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
For real? You don't get any missed glass on the passenger side at all? I mean in my case it's not super noticeable but both trucks do the exact same thing on the passenger side with Icons. There's about a 1.5" strip on the outside that just doesn't quite get hit. The affected area gets smaller as you get closer to the center of the sweep.

Like I said I really don't get any chatter with them or any weirdness at first, but at around 6-9 months they just start streaking really bad and not clearing well. Maybe I'm just expecting too much...

I run Bosch icons, and just got my windshield replaced 4 days ago. I get the same 'skipping' and 1.5-2" missed area on the passenger side as you, both prior to the new windshield and after. That said, they are about 1.5 years old now; but I am thinking about buying something else to replace them. They've never had the down force to really clean the window, at least for me. We have a lot of dirty snow, and mud, here in the winter and they just don't do the job.

Odd we all have either very different, or very similar experiences with them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, for real.

No, none.

Hmm, both of my trucks still have the factory wiper arms. Could just be that your new arms have a little bit more downward pressure on the glass than my 18 year old ones do. Maybe my best course of action would be to just put the factory style blades back on for the moment, and consider replacing the arms in the future if I want to go back to beam blades. I have no issues with the factory style blades other than the fact that I have to mess with them in the winter.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run Michellin Stealth blades on mine. I like the smooth look with the cover and the blades leave no "dry spots" either. Had them for about 3 years now. Wipes the water right off fine like they should.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You guys running blades for 1.5 to 3 years!!! Holy Schnapp!
I go through 3-4 sets a year! Damn RainForest! Except for this year. Record hot/dry spell all Summer.
Have the Michelins right now. Seem to one of the better ones out there. As long as I clean the bug guts off every now & then.
The manual call for 18" blades. I use 19".
...and L/R orientation? If it ain't rainin', the wiper arms/blades are behind the seat. When I HAVE to put them back on, they just get put on! Never paid attention to any L/R designations. Never noticed any dif. Confused!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers