Issues with wipers and sprayers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidestep

Reaction score
91 k1500 5.7. Just replaced the sprayer motor on the reservoir but the sprayers still didn’t work. I discovered the ground wire was crushed in between the reservoir and the fender wall in one section so I resoldered that section but they still don’t work. I can confirm that the motor does not have power to it because I unplugged the fluid hose and nothing comes out. I’m also having an issue when I turn on the wipers (by themselves or with the sprayer) they don’t end their cycle at the bottom of the windshield, they just stop whenever they want. I think the crushed ground wire may have shorted something or it could just be an old truck issue.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Almost always broken solder joints on the wiper motor circuit board, super easy DIY fix if you can do basic electronics soldering. Been covered here a bunch but seeing as you're a new member you haven't seen us harp on that subject for the past couple decades, lol.. just do a quick search for it. Or in a nutshell, pop the circuit board out and touch up the solder joints on the pins where the harness socket attaches to it and you'll be good to go.

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And since the boards were not great quality to start with and age has not helped longevity, a new better quality board is available. It's an easy swap. That maybe part of your washer pump problem. You have tested the motor it's good?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of "Engines" and into "Audio + Electronics".

a new better quality board is available.
Link? Part number/source? The Chinese board from NAPA is the only one I know about, and that was years ago.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
And since the boards were not great quality to start with and age has not helped longevity, a new better quality board is available. It's an easy swap. That maybe part of your washer pump problem. You have tested the motor it's good?
I don't know about any aftermarket wiper circuit board being "better quality" - there's not much deficient about it other than 25-30+ year old solder joints that have given up, and they're essentially free and easy to fix.

I've seen maybe a couple original boards with one thin trace burned up that can be jumpered by anyone with basic soldering skills. I'm reasonably sure that trace burns up as a side-effect of running the motor for an extended time beyond failure of the socket's solder joints. The first one right at the edge of the board is the ground..

Link? Part number/source? The Chinese board from NAPA is the only one I know about, and that was years ago.
Rock currently shows 5, ranging from $15 (extreme Chinesium) to $137 for Chinesium with GM's name on it. I'll stick to fixing the originals. :)

Richard

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey that's great if you can solder and repair any worn or burned areas of a flow soldered circuit board. But the reality is how many average " Joe's " or even highly skilled master techs' can repair a board. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just a skill that the majority probably lacks.
And maybe I was just lucky with my $35 new board. And after 3 years install works good. And we all know the new reality of " crapshoot " imported parts. You make your best choice no matter what circumstances your left with.
I only stated there are choices. Maybe you should start refurbishing OE boards , your new small business . You already have a market and potential clients.
Good luck!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey that's great if you can solder and repair any worn or burned areas of a flow soldered circuit board. But the reality is how many average " Joe's " or even highly skilled master techs' can repair a board. I'm not saying it can't be done, it's just a skill that the majority probably lacks.
And maybe I was just lucky with my $35 new board. And after 3 years install works good. And we all know the new reality of " crapshoot " imported parts. You make your best choice no matter what circumstances your left with.
I only stated there are choices. Maybe you should start refurbishing OE boards , your new small business . You already have a market and potential clients.
Good luck!
Wow, and I thought I was great at being an *******. You've got me beat, friend!

Richard