Best Wiper Blades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone's experiences with different brands are. I still have my factory wipers, but I've removed them on both trucks in favor of the beam style blades with no frame. I like the way they look and the fact that they don't ice up nearly as bad as the factory style in the winter. My problem is they don't seem to last terribly long, and there's about an inch or so on the far passenger side of the windshield that they just can't clean for some reason. I've tried two brands. First was Rain-X Latitudes, which were junk. Worked OK for about 3-4 months and then started streaking terribly. After that I switched to Bosch Icons. Much better than the Rain-X brand, but still only last me around 9-10 months before streaking and still have that little bit of dead spot on the passenger side. I'm thinking of trying the Trico Force blades. Look like a fancy version of the Bosch Icons. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm open to any input. If this is just one of those un-solveable design problems then I have no problem throwing the factory blades back on and just buying the refills. Let me know what you think.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I run Bosch Icons on my Suburban and my wife's Buick. Best blades I've ever used. It rains here. A lot. You can't skimp on wiper blades. They're definitely something that you get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I run Bosch Icons on my Suburban and my wife's Buick. Best blades I've ever used. It rains here. A lot. You can't skimp on wiper blades. They're definitely something that you get what you pay for, if you know what I mean.

I agree completely about not skimping on them, and to be honest I'm not extremely upset with the performance of the Bosch Icons. The Trico Force look interesting, one of the few wipers I've seen that are actually more expensive than the Icons. They look very similar except the Tricos have a slightly different shape and a plastic brace in the center. If no one chimes in with any better ideas I'll probably try a set on my Suburban. It needs a new set BADLY.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tried those beam type ones on my truck too, think they were Icons. Seems like they don't have enough downward pressure, always had those "dead spots" you had. Went back to the cheap metal Napa ones, at least they can clear the windshield. I did like the beam type ones for ice resistance, don't have to bash a chunk of ice off the blades all the time.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After trying everything out there, I gave up and bought some super cheepo wipers at family dollar store. These things are grate. Work good, and 4 months later, they still glide smooth across the windshield. I can't tell you what brand they are, but I hope they have more latter.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Trico's suck, as do Bosch Icons in all honesty. I like the look but they just don't work well on these trucks. Buy the old school metal ones (not the cheapest ones you can find though) I buy Fleetrite ones at work. Every few months wipe the rubber insert down with a rag soaked in glass cleaner or the like to remove all the crud that builds up on them, that's what makes them stop working as well. The best blades I've used on this truck were actually the plain Motorcraft blades the dealer put on my truck, those are awesome.

Also something to check, the wiper arms are not the same from left to right. If you have them on the wrong side the blades will skip and not work well no matter what you put on.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trico's suck

Aw man that's disappointing. So have you used their Force line specifically?

Also something to check, the wiper arms are not the same from left to right. If you have them on the wrong side the blades will skip and not work well no matter what you put on.

:lol: Well that's one thing I don't have to worry about, my arms have never been off of the trucks. One of these days I may take them off and re-paint them though, and I will definitely remember this. Thanks for the info!

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Aw man that's disappointing. So have you used their Force line specifically?

Yeah, took them off and bought something else within about 20 minutes. Skipped like a bouncy ball :banghead: Had pretty much the same experience when I put them on my F-250 before...

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, took them off and bought something else within about 20 minutes. Skipped like a bouncy ball :banghead: Had pretty much the same experience when I put them on my F-250 before...

Well damn. I was excited about those, too. I actually run their direct replacement factory style blades on my '70 Monte Carlo and like them just fine. I wonder if the skipping you experienced had anything to do with the different design on the earlier wiper arms... Did you have the same skipping issue with the Icons? Because I get none of that.