Aluminum Heads to 90 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JGM350

Reaction score
Hello good afternoon thanks to the help of some people i have been considering getting aluminum heads for my build i was wondering if these specific heads would work.I’ll leave the head specs below the link aswell also i believe the intake wouldn’t work with the heads but if there is one that will work and bolt up i will buy it.
  • For Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft with 0.535 in. Maximum Valve Lift
  • 78 cc Exhaust Port
  • 23-Degree Valve Angle
  • Guide Plates
  • Rocker Arm Studs: 3/8 in.
  • Intake Port Location: Stock
  • Intake Port Dimensions: 2.200 in. x 1.200 in.
  • Exhaust Port Location: Stock
  • Exhaust Port Dimensions: 1.356 in. x 1.420 in.
  • Drilled for Standard and Vortec Intake Manifold
  • Valve Cover Bolt Pattern: Dual Pattern (Perimeter and Center Bolt)
  • Valve Seats Machined: Yes
  • Valve Seat Machine Style: 3-Angle
  • Valve Seat Material: Hardened Ductile Iron
  • Valve Spring Pocked Diameter: 1.580 in. O.D. (1.600 in. O.D. Max Machining)
  • Intake and Exhaust Valve Material: Stainless Steel
  • Intake Valve Head Diameter: 2.020 in.
  • Intake Valve Stem Diameter: 0.3415 in.
  • Intake Valve Length: 5.115 in.
  • Exhaust Valve Head Diameter: 1.600 in.
  • Exhaust Valve Stem Diameter: 0.3415 in.
  • Exhaust Valve Length: 5.115 in.
  • Valve Locks: 7-degree
  • Valve Retainers: Chromoly
  • Intake Valve Guide Material: Manganese Bronze
  • Exhaust Valve Guide Material = Phosphor Bronze
  • Valve Guides: 1/2 in. O.D.
  • Valve Guide Length: 1.950 in.
  • Valve Guide Clearance: .0014 in. - .002 in. (with .3415 in. diameter valve stem)
  • Drilled for Accessory Holes and Steam Holes
  • Spark Plug Dimensions: 14 mm x 0.750 in. with Gasket Seat

JGM350

Reaction score
I’m not sure how to tell if the engine has a flat tappet cam or a roller without removing the intake to see.
i was going to go with a cam swap would one of these be a good option?
1.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-k1103/make/chevrolet
2.https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl12-242-2/make/chevrolet

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will find that it’s dead easy to build a 350-400 Hp SBC however the challenge is doing that with the factory TBI intake and EFI. If I remember correctly the TBI is under 500 CFM and it’s not exactly straight forward to modify them and tune them to feed 350-400 HP. It’s possible but that’s the largest hurdle you will face, so get a game plan there before moving forward with buying parts.

Also you want to find out if your block is set up for a roller cam or not. I think you need to visually confirm once the intake is off. If the block isn’t setup for a roller then you want to plan that into the build.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those look like heads for the gen 1 SBCs with no ports for EGR and probably don't have the center bolt holes drilled at ~72° so, your TBI intake won't work without modification - "Drilled for standard and Vortec intake manifold". Something to keep in mind, depending on your application, 205 intake runners are almost too big and will reduce low end torque.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those look like heads for the gen 1 SBCs with no ports for EGR and probably don't have the center bolt holes drilled at ~72° so, your TBI intake won't work without modification - "Drilled for standard and Vortec intake manifold". Something to keep in mind, depending on your application, 205 intake runners are almost too big and will reduce low end torque.
People always claim that, but I had noticeably more low-speed torque with offshore aluminum heads that were ~205cc advertised, about 198cc as tested. Holder also did testing on multiple different engines, the biggest head ports made the most low-speed torque, little loss in the midrange then they opened up on the top-end. All 5 Dart Iron eagles were tested on a rather basic 350 with a mild cam years ago. The 215cc iron eagles made the most low-speed torque, the highest average torque and the flattest curve overall. The 200cc heads made the highest peak torque and were right there with the 215s, single digit losses in average tq and hp compared to the 215s. The 165s and 180s signifigantly lagged behind and the 230s were just too much for the mild combination but still made more torque than the 165s or 180s. Fully porting the 165s or 180s might have changed things a bit, but as cast that was the results.

Last edited:

RShrimp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would recommend you take a long look at https://blueprintengines.com/ They build engines and dyno everything. I plan to buy one from them when the time comes but even if you plan to self build look at the parts they use and the results they achieve. This research should get you going in a better direction.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Pushrod guideplates will REQUIRE hardened pushrods instead of your stock pushrods. They will REQUIRE non-self-guided rocker arms, your stock arms are probably self-guided. Include rocker arms and pushrods into the cost of those heads. OR, leave out the guideplates, and keep your self-guided rocker arms if they're in usable condition.

2. As said, you will disable your EGR system with those heads. Not my first choice. This will REQUIRE computer tuning to eliminate EGR problems. This will be legal nowhere in the USA, (violation of Federal law) but most places don't check for compliance.

3. When I installed aluminum heads with the older 6-bolt intake manifold pattern, I used the GM Performance "ZZ4" intake manifold. There was significant modifying needed to keep the EGR, and to locate the ignition coil, MAP/EST/EGR Solenoid bracket, the vacuum connection for the power brakes, and an adapter plate needed to put the TBI unit on the Q-Jet carb mount. OTOH, the ZZ manifold is almost exactly the same overall height as the stock TBI manifold, so the throttle cable, cruise control cable, transmission TV cable, and the fuel hoses bolted right up, and needed minimal adjustment.

I would be looking for different heads--having an exhaust-gas crossover. You're probably out-of-luck on the intake manifold bolt pattern--both manufacturers of heads that were compatible with the TBI intake manifold (Edelbrock and Trick Flow/Summit) have discontinued those heads.