'99 K1500 Suburban "Storm"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Went to get the battery last night to install in my other suburban since I havent bought another one yet. Before I pulled it, I unplugged the fuel pump relay and the coil pack harness to see if I could hear anything when it turned over. It didn't budge with the starter so I'm leaning toward a bent rod that almost went through the side of the block. Eventually I'll do a tear down and see what all it needs. I'm hoping to salvage my camshaft, crank, and pistons if I can. I'd like to rebuild another block with gen 4 rods and keep my old pistons and crank if possible. May even do flat top pistons with valve reliefs, we'll see.

Could hunt for a stock LS2 rotating assembly that someone ditched to go stroker from Corvette/TBSS if your block is OK. I'd make that assessment first and ask your machinist if those pistons would have acceptable clearances since they came in aluminum blocks.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could hunt for a stock LS2 rotating assembly that someone ditched to go stroker from Corvette/TBSS if your block is OK. I'd make that assessment first and ask your machinist if those pistons would have acceptable clearances since they came in aluminum blocks.
I'll have to keep an eye out. I'm leaning towards a cracked block though due to the oil leak. No hole in the pan from what I can tell and nothing coming from between the block and heads.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cracked block you say?

Well, not going to lie... when installing my heads, the drivers side outermost bolt hole must have had some cleaner down in there when I started tightening the head finger tight. Some cleaner oozed out through a very fine 1/4" crack, so I pulled the bolt out, sprayed air to get it dried out, put red loctite on the bolt, and jb welded the crack with a steel stick, and its held up fine! I checked for oil around where the crack was, but it's not coming from there (bolt hole is by a water jacket)

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang man! Sorry to hear you lunched this motor, at least you've got a spare Suburban as a driver until you can get this one dialed again.
It'll be back soon enough, hopefully bigger and better if all goes well. I finally got the title straightened on this new one and tags on it today. It's been a hassle lol. Took it to a Mod Wash since I had a free wash that came in a flyer in the mail and got it cleaned up decently. I cant wait to do a paint correction, clean up the engine bay, and shampoo the carpet. I've got to diagnose a bad cylinder 1, 8, and sometimes cylinder 2 misfire. Replaced a plug in cylinder 1 and it didnt change anything, may try a wire next. Cap and rotor button are supposively new, but not ac delco. I just hope it's not the poppet injectors, especially since it sat for over a year with old gas in it. Otherwise it rides, shifts, and handles great!

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pulled cylinder 3 and cylinder 5 plugs, and found this protruding from the block where cylinder 5 is. I'm not quite sure what this is, rod bearing maybe?

Last edited:

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whatever it is it doesn't look good. Neither do those plugs. Looks painful and expensive......
Found another 6.0 short block I can get for under 200. I'll probably end up pulling it in a couple weeks of I can make time to. I'm not quite sure what it is though, doesnt seem large enough or shaped right to be a rod. I'll be doing a complete rebuild on the next engine I get and doing some upgrades too. I just pray that the camshaft and head are not damaged.