'99 K1500 Suburban "Storm"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
I just read this ENTIRE thread from beginning to end.

Beautiful, badass 'burban. I got stressed way back when you were thinking about selling it and relieved when you didn't.
And yes, at every trans failure, I was rooting for the 4l80e.
I screamed "NOOOOO!!!!!" in my head when you were going to paint the perfect chrome grille, but loved the end result.
And, as a 49 year old that has worked at/raced at drag strips for years, I can see you're infected. It's got you. And as I read through all of this I'm saying, "Stop!! It's a SUV! Your setup in a little Malibu, Mustang, or what ever would be a full second quicker and SO much easier on parts!"
Otherwise, your awesome, beautiful 'burban will only beat your wallet to death in parts breakage.

Sorry. Dad-rant over, lol. I've enjoyed this thread and will be following for as long as you post.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just read this ENTIRE thread from beginning to end.

Beautiful, badass 'burban. I got stressed way back when you were thinking about selling it and relieved when you didn't.
And yes, at every trans failure, I was rooting for the 4l80e.
I screamed "NOOOOO!!!!!" in my head when you were going to paint the perfect chrome grille, but loved the end result.
And, as a 49 year old that has worked at/raced at drag strips for years, I can see you're infected. It's got you. And as I read through all of this I'm saying, "Stop!! It's a SUV! Your setup in a little Malibu, Mustang, or what ever would be a full second quicker and SO much easier on parts!"
Otherwise, your awesome, beautiful 'burban will only beat your wallet to death in parts breakage.

Sorry. Dad-rant over, lol. I've enjoyed this thread and will be following for as long as you post.

Thank you, I really appreciate it! That's a lot to read though all 84 pages of my Suburban's progress!
As long as this Performabuilt Level 3 holds, and it's been strong so far, I'll be keeping a 4L60E in it. I dont ever plan on passing the 600rwhp mark with this. By then, I'll be at my goal of bullying 5.0 Coyotes, 6.2 LT1s, and 392 Hemis.
Yes, I've been infected ever since about 4 years ago when I took the Suburban down the track the first time and ran low 11's in the 1/8th bone stock. It's definitely a whole different animal now. Inspiration for making it fast is from seeing Mitchell Stapelton's LSXcalade, and Dyan Peacock's turbocharged 95 K1500.

I'm hoping to eventually get a 3rd or 4th gen Trans Am to play with. I'm leaning towards the idea of a LQ4 swapped Trans Am GTA Hardtop and building it into a sleeper with a quiet exhaust and keeping the outside mostly stock, even the wheels.

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
In the early '90s I had a '77 New Yorker with a 440. I was bracket racing in the 1/8th mile. 11.34's all day. Finals was me and a kid "learning" his grandfather funded, high dollar 5.50 second racecar. It was something else watching a real racecar run you down like that! I lost. Broke out. I ran 11.32 on my 11.34 dial, he went 5.53 on his 5.50 dial.
Racing is definitely an addiction. I miss it. My last hurrah was an '86 Mustang that would run 7.0's in the 1/8th. Was set up for nitrous, but I never put the kit on. Divorce #2 took ended all of that.