Ice storm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
2 days ago my 78 year old next door neighbor came knocking. Her 2020 Corolla Hybrid would not start. Not cranking over. Found 6.5 volts and she had left her headlights on over night. Charged the battery and it started. Charged it for a couple hours and she went and got a new battery installed. Her daughter shows up and she was wanting her mother to follow her to drop off 2017 Cherokee at auto shop for brake inspect and oil leak diagnosis. I told her I could do that.

She dropped it that night, turns out she lives on same block and I did not know it. Yesterday I inspected. Does not need brakes. Oil leak is the common oil filter housing/cooler assembly oil leak puking all over the back side of engine and draining down the transmission bell housing. Glad I looked yesterday and ordered parts.

This morning I woke up to 1/4" of ice on my driveway canopy. Is nasty out there. Knocked off the ice and have to watch all day and keep the ice from gathering. Ice like this is rare here in the Oregon Willamette Valley. Hell, we hardly ever get below freezing.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 days ago my 78 year old next door neighbor came knocking. Her 2020 Corolla Hybrid would not start. Not cranking over. Found 6.5 volts and she had left her headlights on over night. Charged the battery and it started. Charged it for a couple hours and she went and got a new battery installed. Her daughter shows up and she was wanting her mother to follow her to drop off 2017 Cherokee at auto shop for brake inspect and oil leak diagnosis. I told her I could do that.

She dropped it that night, turns out she lives on same block and I did not know it. Yesterday I inspected. Does not need brakes. Oil leak is the common oil filter housing/cooler assembly oil leak puking all over the back side of engine and draining down the transmission bell housing. Glad I looked yesterday and ordered parts.

This morning I woke up to 1/4" of ice on my driveway canopy. Is nasty out there. Knocked off the ice and have to watch all day and keep the ice from gathering. Ice like this is rare here in the Oregon Willamette Valley. Hell, we hardly ever get below freezing.
Is that the infamous 3.6 Pentastar oil filter housing? Been there, done that on the woman's 16 Journey. Good times!
Ya, weather is pretty crappy up here, sorry it spilled down to your neck of the woods. Lol

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, it's a 3.2 but same design and same problem. I have done a couple already for American Legion members Jeeps. Both V6 Rubicons. Not that big of deal but it pays me well. I make nothing on parts, so I don't warranty parts, and I charge 1/2 the shop labor rates in the area. I do charge for diagnostics and waste oil and coolant disposal and running after parts. I also don't do major jobs like engine swaps and transmission swaps. I turn down whatever I want. At 71 years old, it keeps me active and I like that I can work when I want to and can turn down what I want to. I had a younger guy, mid 30's, that thought he was going to tell me what I was going to do and how to do it and he was gone out of my driveway asap.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My first one took me about 4 hours. The second was 3.25 hours. The transverse engine looks easier and may do it in 3 hours. I have the full assortment of tools needed and I used to do this for a living.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ice damage in the neighborhood and at my friends house while he was out of town. His wife was home when a 100' birch tree came down in back yard: