99 suburban k1500 6 lug drums

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What drums are you guys running?

I purchased a set of ac delco drums from amazon and 1 was warped. Also got a pair of power stop shoes which are great and beefy!

Contacted amazon after about a month, they couldn't help. Contacted ac delco warranty claims and i got both drums replaced about a month ago. Finally getting ready to slap ‘em on, got my paint ready, i open them up and one of the drums is cracked on the lip.

Contacted ac delco again and now i gotta call amazon and see if they can swap it out before I call acdelco back.

are there better drums out there? Also purchased a set of ac delco shoe pads for this new installation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 12

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone recently posted, and I think it was @df2x4, since buying Acdelco or Raysbestos(Acdelco supplier) are notoriously crap, best thing is to buy local, then any return or exchange is easy. Words of Wisdom!!! I really have no faith in buying drums online.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sometimes tempted to try Bendix PDR0541. Supposedly made in USA.
“Bendix drum brakes are manufactured at our state-of-the-art production facility in Bowling Green, Kentucky”.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i open them up and one of the drums is cracked on the lip.

Is there evidence it was dropped, e.g., deformation of the cardboard box, which may have caused the drum to crack in that area?

That's the impression I got when I studied your picture.

Mis-handled during shipping, perhaps?

Last edited:

alvaroemg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both boxes were damaged, even though they were wrapped in 5 layers of bubble wrap.

I'm tempted to just hammer it out straight from the inside and install it as is. Drum is held by the wheel studs and lug nuts, so I don't think it's going anywhere.

Contacting amazon tonight, if replacement is here past Sunday, I will hammer it out tomorrow and install as is.

I also have a set of power stop z36 brake pads for the front,

rotors -

Dynamic Friction Company Front Brake Rotors-Drilled and Slotted-Black 8002-48007 , got the pair for $60 from amazon at the same time as the pads.​

For the calipers I'm getting some from napa, ADC 2313XA and ADC 2313XB for $28/each. Already coated for rust prevention.

Current drums are all rusted in 2 or 3 months of use/rain/ snow. So the new ones I put on are getting painted with some engine enamel to prevent rust on them.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That cracked lip is designed to be on the outside of the backing plate lip and help shield water and debris from getting in there. If it is straightened or broke off, it will still work as they roll past each other, as long as not hitting each other. But it will also be out of balance and the cracked away area can get larger and create problems. Like @Caman96 said, better to get local parts, when can and are affordable. I am surprised that Amazon or AC Delco don't jump and send you another drum when you show them a pic.

By the way, It is rare to get any drum or rotor that is completely smooth but a small amount of runout is acceptable. Perfection can be touched up on a lathe.