First time doing drum brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Fine. You HAVE to get the park brake working, and you HAVE to use it regularly, or the crappy leading-trailing shoe brakes won't stay in adjustment.
Didn't know that, will put it on the to-do list. Have to do it on a Friday, after I get the backup truck back so I have all weekend to heat and beat on it, and run to the parts store

Reaction score
Were you only experiencing shaking at a certain speed? My drums were bad warped and shook at all speeds. Changed it all out last week and now it only shakes around 40mph when braking. I didnt think to suspect the u-joints and wont get back to my truck for another 2 weeks...
It had a low speed squeak/grind in forward and reverse. Shaking would start about 40, then fade away after 50, but I could still feel a grumble in the body, through the seat. Also only felt it while under acceleration/steady throttle. If it only shakes while braking, that seems to indicate a brake issues, but it's not too hard to drop the driveshaft(s) and wiggle them, for peace of mind if nothing else.