'99 K1500 Suburban "Storm"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here are the rods and pistons I'm looking at getting for the 6.2 build. This combo will put me around 11:1 static compression with .051" head gaskets and my 799 heads milled .015". I'm debating on reusing the 216/220 .600"/.600" 111lsa cam or going bigger with the increased displacement. I'm still wanting to keep my power band in the 1500-6000 rpm range and really love the low end torque my current cam provides.

You must be registered for see images attach

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I havent posted any updates in a while, but I'm finally going to be able to start making headway on Storm's new engine. I'll be picking up a core 2003 lq4 next weekend to start working on. I also recently bought another set of 799 heads to replace the one head that is damaged. First thing will be disassembling the new engine and get it prepped for the machine shop to punch out the bores, clean up the crank, and install new cam bearings.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I havent posted any updates in a while, but I'm finally going to be able to start making headway on Storm's new engine. I'll be picking up a core 2003 lq4 next weekend to start working on. I also recently bought another set of 799 heads to replace the one head that is damaged. First thing will be disassembling the new engine and get it prepped for the machine shop to punch out the bores, clean up the crank, and install new cam bearings.

Just run it as is or else you'll let the magic smoke out.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just run it as is or else you'll let the magic smoke out.
The engine I'm buying is a core for considerably less than what people are asking for running lq4s around here ($1500 and up) and will need to be rebuilt. I'll be right under 2 grand for a forged bottom end 6.2 iron block including the cost of the engine. I do plan on boosting it later and want to have a bottom end that will handle it reliably for a long time.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The engine I'm buying is a core for considerably less than what people are asking for running lq4s around here ($1500 and up) and will need to be rebuilt. I'll be right under 2 grand for a forged bottom end 6.2 iron block including the cost of the engine. I do plan on bossting it later and want to have a bottom end that will handle it reliably for a long time.

How much are you trying to make? A stock bottom end will do 600 wheel all day long.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Hell, a good condition stock bottom end should handle 800 with mild boost (4-6 psi). Although long term longevity would probably suffer slightly with the non forged pistons.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately the engine I bought has a hole in the oil galley from where the rod broke and caught it. It's a tiny hole but I'm not sure I'd trust welding it up being that its cast iron and it's a high pressure spot from the oil pump to filter.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you applied pressurized oil to it to verify if it leaks? I'd feel just fine at 600whp every day on a stock bottom end, that's accepted community wide as a safe place to stop. Plenty have gotten away with more.