97 k1500 tow vehicle opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk, My 16 ft steel deck car trailer scales at 1750 lbs. It's no nothing fancy. You've probably added 1500 lbs in tires and suspension to a stock truck. Pretty close to the limit?? It only takes one arse hole pulling out in front of you to wreck your life if you drive over them overweight.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Idk, My 16 ft steel deck car trailer scales at 1750 lbs. It's no nothing fancy. You've probably added 1500 lbs in tires and suspension to a stock truck. Pretty close to the limit?? It only takes one arse hole pulling out in front of you to wreck your life if you drive over them overweight.
Let alone someone else's...I've seen enough to know that I've seen too much. 13 years in the towing and recovery field will do that.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let alone someone else's...I've seen enough to know that I've seen too much. 13 years in the towing and recovery field will do that.
I worked for a tow company in my younger days, did some off road recovery on the weekends etc, It was a weekend gig mostly. Kids in Momma's brand new Cherokee buried up to the belt moldings in a mudhole. Sucking up water. Also crap like flying through town , through red lights, as fast as that wrecker could go because a fed-ex driver locked his keys in the van on the tarmac behind an airplane. FCC shyt takes precedence.

I try and be careful towing. I spent most of my life in bodyshops so I see the end result on a regular basis , and see when NTSHA and highway patrol etc show up for invesigations.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To add one more check in the nay-sayer category, the rear suspension of the Suburban is rear coil springs. Not known to carry loads well, can't be built up like a leaf spring either.
So unless you're adding a reinforcement set of Timbrens to the tow machine, or using a weight distribution hitch, you'll be "nose in the air", blinding other drivers.

Vincent

Reaction score
The picture of the trailer in question(not my vehicles in the pic). My 08 suburban has a 6.0 stroker motor that was built for it after the original 5.3 grenaded. I’m not concerned about be over the legal weight limit cause I’ll be sure to stay within it. The trailer has brakes. I’m not inexperienced with towing I’ve just never towed this combo with my suburban before and was hoping for input and suggestions and much appreciate every ones so far. The mud truck also is going on a corporate 14 rear, dana super 60 front, sitting on 44x19 boggers. And before towing I plan on completely going through the burbs steering and suspension components to be sure everything is it top shape. And no towing will be done on the highway backroads only. Unfortunately at this time I cannot afford a heftier tow vehicle, so like was said before unfortunately have to work with what I got.
You must be registered for see images attach

Vincent

Reaction score
Aside from not driving like an ******* and taking my time towing, I’m hoping anyone can give more suggestions on what I can do to make it as safe as possible.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
The picture of the trailer in question(not my vehicles in the pic). My 08 suburban has a 6.0 stroker motor that was built for it after the original 5.3 grenaded. I’m not concerned about be over the legal weight limit cause I’ll be sure to stay within it. The trailer has brakes. I’m not inexperienced with towing I’ve just never towed this combo with my suburban before and was hoping for input and suggestions and much appreciate every ones so far. The mud truck also is going on a corporate 14 rear, dana super 60 front, sitting on 44x19 boggers. And before towing I plan on completely going through the burbs steering and suspension components to be sure everything is it top shape. And no towing will be done on the highway backroads only. Unfortunately at this time I cannot afford a heftier tow vehicle, so like was said before unfortunately have to work with what I got.
Okay...I get it. 618 said it well.

That's a good length trailer to balance it out well.
As mentioned twice previously, a weight-distributing hitch is a must, as is a brake controller. I would look into Timbrens, as Nad_Yvalhosert suggested. Make sure your sway bar bushings are in good repair. Tires...Make sure you have the proper weight-rated tires. The center of gravity is going to be pretty lousy in your case. I also will amend my guess at the weight and up it to 6K at the least. You'll know better when you hit the scale.

When I needed rotors, I upgraded to EBC. Here's what I went with, and it worked well:
https://ebcbrakes.com/products/ebc-s3-kits-greenstuff-6000-pads-and-black-gd-rotors-truck-suv-type/
You may find the 'red' more appropriate, though. https://ebcbrakes.com/products/ebc-s3-kits-greenstuff-6000-pads-and-black-gd-rotors-truck-suv-type/

Vincent

Reaction score
Ok, so I’ve added more pictures and the hitch I’m considering. Alone with more info on the truck.

Attachments

• B595C740-C152-4ADB-8198-8139382E0095.jpeg
    B595C740-C152-4ADB-8198-8139382E0095.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 8
  • A4C45B44-DE7C-45E6-9093-F407CDEE7D89.jpeg
    A4C45B44-DE7C-45E6-9093-F407CDEE7D89.jpeg
    603.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 04B57371-9E4D-4370-A165-CAE2479CDC62.jpeg
    04B57371-9E4D-4370-A165-CAE2479CDC62.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 8
  • D2C79DA7-AD52-4BF0-8925-DD01EE46B5CF.jpeg