97 k1500 tow vehicle opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vincent

Reaction score
I have a question, not sure which thread to post in, but I’m currently building a 97 k1500 on 1 ton axles and 44’s. Not really wanting to drive this truck long distances when tire cost almost 5k a set, I currently own a 2008 suburban 1500 and wondering what anyone’s opinions are on being able to town with my suburban on a flat deck trailer.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Howdy, Vincent. Your Suburban can tow, legally, around 7K...How much does the mud truck weigh? How much does the trailer weigh? Do the trailer brakes work properly? Brake controller? Length of trailer to play with tongue weight?

I'd say no...

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like mentioned depends what the tow rating is on the 'burb. It's not towing with a trailer, but the 99 parts truck i bought, k3500, 454, 5-speed, RCLB, I towed with my 22 4runner. It has a 5k tow rating I think, I used a tow dolly and did just fine. Took my time, plenty of time/distance to slow/stop, momentum on hills, took my time. I'd think the burb would have a decent tow rating. And don't think your truck was 7k either.

Vincent

Reaction score
Around a 20 to 24 foot trailer, will have electric trailer brakes. The curb weigh of the mud truck originally is around 4500 pounds and I’m assuming she probably put on at least 1k, won’t know for sure until it’s done and back in the road and can go to a local scale. And trailer weight unknown, still shopping for one.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Around a 20 to 24 foot trailer, will have electric trailer brakes. The curb weigh of the mud truck originally is around 4500 pounds and I’m assuming she probably put on at least 1k, won’t know for sure until it’s done and back in the road and can go to a local scale. And trailer weight unknown, still shopping for one.
I figured, off the cuff, on 5,500 too. Are you talking about a trailer like this?

Last edited:

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
My 18' utility trailer with a wood deck is 1700 lbs empty. With 5500 lbs of truck, that'd be 7200 lbs, and would technically be just over the Burb's tow rating, but it would probably do it. Just make sure your brakes are in tip top shape on both the Burb and the trailer, go slow, and pay real good attention to what's happening way ahead of you.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will it pull it? Yes
Safely? Probably.
Legally? Prolly not.
Easily? No.
There are better options for a tow vehicle, but sometimes you just have to work with what you have.
The wheelbase of a burb will help, but if you don't get the balance on right on the combination, the trailer will start driving the truck, and that gets sketchy fast.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Build that mud truck as light as you can. An 18' wood deck hauler with the center deck removed will be a little bit lighter, but make sure it has trailer brakes. If you have a buddy who can haul all the attendant gear in a separate truck, that will help.

At 7,000 lbs, your Suburban is going to be struggling. My race team often ends up towing our race car hundreds of miles with a 5.3/4L60E 2009(?) Suburban, and I'm always scared for it. The 5.3 isn't up to the task, but it'll manage. The 4L60E is the weakest link - the truck we've been towing with is on its second transmission.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
What are the specs of the Suburban? Are you concerned about the legal limits and liability...and your insurance company properly placing the onus upon your shoulders in the event of an accident?

You must be registered for see images attach