5.7 vortec harmonic balancer size ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No, they're different diameters. The Vortec 350 takes ACDelco part number 10243271, the Vortec 305 takes ACDelco part number 10243272.
Part number to part number it looks like it won't work. However they are both neutral balance. Many high performance 350s (mostly Corvettes) had the smaller balancer. Many 80s truck 305s had a larger balancer. Vortecs use the same timing cover. It will work. He can pull both balancers off and measure the length and compare the two. Then 305 in my Tahoe had the 350 balancer on it and ran perfectly from the time I built it until the 4L60E puked about 50K miles later.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Part number to part number it looks like it won't work. However they are both neutral balance. Many high performance 350s (mostly Corvettes) had the smaller balancer. Many 80s truck 305s had a larger balancer. Vortecs use the same timing cover. It will work. He can pull both balancers off and measure the length and compare the two. Then 305 in my Tahoe had the 350 balancer on it and ran perfectly from the time I built it until the 4L60E puked about 50K miles later.

Makes sense as the notations on GM Parts Direct said that either would work, although I have no idea why they'd bother making the different parts at all then.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Makes sense as the notations on GM Parts Direct said that either would work, although I have no idea why they'd bother making the different parts at all then.
I could not answer that one. The aftermarket does not even offer a Vortec 305 balancer, atleast they didn't when I built that 305. It ended up with a 57K mile 350 balancer on it because I had it and the 305 one was SHOT!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I could not answer that one. The aftermarket does not even offer a Vortec 305 balancer, atleast they didn't when I built that 305. It ended up with a 57K mile 350 balancer on it because I had it and the 305 one was SHOT!

It looks like Dayco makes an aftermarket Vortec 305 balancer now, part number PB1546N. It's only about $4 cheaper than the OEM ACDelco option though.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Well can't get the truck to run for **** it shakes like hell and can only get it to run if I give it gas and engine light came on. I'm so f***in mad I almost took a 10lb sledge hammer and beat this truck to pieces. I got ahold of the guy that sold me the motor told him I picked the motor up from your house I know we're you live if this engine is done your done so is my next 25 years of freedom I'm so sick of getting f#cked over he better hope this motor runs or that's it. We'll see what my buddy's shop can do I think I got the timing off some how but I lined everything up so I don't know what the hell I'm a paint and body man I f#ckin hate doing mechanical work.
You must be registered for see images attach

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sucks, but sometimes a guy has to step back and maybe find something else to focus on for a while. You'll get it figured out.

I used to own a 2006 Dodge diesel truck. I literally had a gas can and a lighter in my hand, ready to light that pos on fire. My wife stood in the way and wouldn't let me do it. She probably saved me some jail time.

Deep breathes...