5.7 vortec harmonic balancer size ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
So I've never done a timing chain cover before do drop the pan put the timing cover gasket and cover on then bolt the oil pan back on? Any silicone gasket maker needed?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my timing cover I tried as per Haynes just to lower the front of the oil pan but the gasket broke so I removed the pan and put a new gasket in along with a small(ish) amount of sealant supplied with the cover (IIRC).
The cover has a rubberised bead for a gasket (I wetted mine with a smear of engine oil when I moistened the lip seal) and I only used sealant at the bottom as per instructions included with the timing cover and on the corners of the gasket (a blob on each) as per instructions included with the gasket.

It's far from obvious exactly where the sealant should go following the instructions but trial assembling dry will give you a better idea where it goes. It's only a small sachet that is provided but it is enough. No leaks so far!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I'll be dammed it was a 5.0 the previous owner took out the 5.7 when his wife blew a cooler line and swapped in a 5.0. I texted the last owner and he houstly thought he had bought a 5.7 he did say it seemed a bit under powered compared to the last motor this explains it. Dam this entire time I thought it was a 5.7 cause the vin says it's supposed to be but its back to being a 5.7 now. All that talk I did telling everyone how much I hate this gutless gas guzzling POS 5.7 vortec to find
You must be registered for see images attach
out now it was a 305 lol woops.

Which is why I kept saying to you a tune would probably make a world of difference. The tuner would likely have caught the mistake. 305s do not run all that well on 350 tuning and vice versa.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Which is why I kept saying to you a tune would probably make a world of difference. The tuner would likely have caught the mistake. 305s do not run all that well on 350 tuning and vice versa.
305 don't run well even tuned 305s are junk there gutless gas guzzling pigs in a full size 4wd I'm so glad that worthless pos is out of my truck!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
305 don't run well even tuned 305s are junk there gutless gas guzzling pigs in a full size 4wd I'm so glad that worthless pos is out of my truck!
I had one in G20 van, a Vortec 305 with a F-car cam for a couple years in my Express van and 218/218 cammed Vortec 305 in my Tahoe. All 3 ran very well and got very good fuel milesge for what they were.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
What mark do I go by for top dead center? The old timing cover has tdc in a different spot then the new vortec timing cover I just installed. This is a vortec block if that matters. I'm just putting my truck back together now so a response as soon as possible would be great otherwise I'll just goo off of the marks on the new cover.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can I just use the one off my vortec 305 that way I know dam well I got a vortec balancer?

No, they're different diameters. The Vortec 350 takes ACDelco part number 10243271, the Vortec 305 takes ACDelco part number 10243272.