5.7 vortec harmonic balancer size ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
So I just installed my new rebuilt 5.7 vortec and soon realized when I went to bring the #1 cylinder up to tdc I noticed the balancer is massive compared to the balancer on my old 5.7 I just out. The guy was building the motor to swap into his 98 with a big ugly lift and big goofy tires. So the motor is cammed and few other odds and ends done to it but I thought the smaller balancer would yeild the most low end or am I wrong? Is having this bigger balancer a good or a bad thing?
You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the diameter of the balancer is too small to make a difference in power/torque. Check summtracing.com, they will list diameter size for different balancers. I remember 25 years ago seeing ads for a weighted flywheel for lifted trucks, that would give you more torque. Now can't find em…..

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The balancer on my 350 is about the size of the one in the second photo - about 1'' bigger in diameter than the pulley. The one in the first photo - is it missing its outer ring?

The sizing of a balancer should be determined by physical aspects of the crankshaft that dictate its torsional resonance frequency. Very complicated stuff!

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Well I'll be dammed it was a 5.0 the previous owner took out the 5.7 when his wife blew a cooler line and swapped in a 5.0. I texted the last owner and he houstly thought he had bought a 5.7 he did say it seemed a bit under powered compared to the last motor this explains it. Dam this entire time I thought it was a 5.7 cause the vin says it's supposed to be but its back to being a 5.7 now. All that talk I did telling everyone how much I hate this gutless gas guzzling POS 5.7 vortec to find
out now it was a 305 lol woops.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! At least it now makes sense.

I predict you will REALLY like your new motor!!

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Nice! At least it now makes sense.

I predict you will REALLY like your new motor!!
I was hoping I could here it run today but ran into a problem. The guy that had the motor built was going to carb it and I didn't notice and he forgot to tell me it has a metal timing chain cover so there is no place for the dam crank sensor. My question now is do I have to replace the oil pan gasket on this new motor when I put the new timing cover on? This motor has not had any fluids in it yet.