454 (L29) Cam Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, you say that now but, wait until later:anitoof: You'll wish you went bigger:biggrin:
Typically I agree with your sentiment, but I have a bike and a car that tick the "need for speed" boxes, and a truck that gets used as a truck. The dually is just a cruiser. It ain't gotta go fast or drag a heavy trailer. It's gonna function as a work in progress until someone decides they want it more than I do...

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it turns out that a pushrod got sent through the rocker arm on #2, and there's a bent pushrod on #8
Can is good, so lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms are ordered.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So it turns out that a pushrod got sent through the rocker arm on #2, and there's a bent pushrod on #8
Can is good, so lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms are ordered.

Well that's easier than a cam but still a bit catastrophic. Any idea why?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought the truck it ran, but ran ******. Figured with the low mileage it had sat and had nasty fuel in it, so I dropped the fuel tank to drain it and discovered a pretty big hole. Also, the fuel that came out of the tank had a high water content.
My theory is that they filled with water and hydrolocked.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If hydrolock was the cause, I'm blown away by the fact that the valvetrain took the hit and not the pistons.
I'm not convinced it was, but that's the only thing that I can think of. I've seen hydrolocked big block pistons survive intact before, but I'm far from 100% on what actually caused this.
Only thing I know to do is put it back together correctly and see what it does.

The_Predator

Reaction score
Not meaning to threadjack.

Any cam recommendations for my stock L29? I'm adding Five-O injections, blackbear tune on an 0411 swap, longtube headers (3" true duals installed). Mainly used for light work and will occasionally pull a 8-10K travel trailer. 153k on the motor, runs well.