454 (L29) Cam Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at options for my dually, compression was decent across all 8 but #2 is a dead hole. Thinking collapsed lifter, valve covers are coming off Thursday so I'll know more then. I have access to an 8.1 for cheap, so that swap is an option, but I'd like to get some input in the event that I put a cam in the low mileage 454 in it now.
Details: 98 C3500 105k original, cold air intake but otherwise stock. Has had the injectors cleaned, new plugs and wires, new cap and rotor. The truck is mostly a toy but will see some highway cruises, and light (car trailer) towing. I'd like a lumpy idle and low to mid-range power. I have access to HP Tuners, so the computer can be changed as needed.
I'm open to general and specific advice, also if anyone has anything laying around they want rid of speak up, cost is always a factor.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm looking at options for my dually, compression was decent across all 8 but #2 is a dead hole. Thinking collapsed lifter, valve covers are coming off Thursday so I'll know more then. I have access to an 8.1 for cheap, so that swap is an option, but I'd like to get some input in the event that I put a cam in the low mileage 454 in it now.
Details: 98 C3500 105k original, cold air intake but otherwise stock. Has had the injectors cleaned, new plugs and wires, new cap and rotor. The truck is mostly a toy but will see some highway cruises, and light (car trailer) towing. I'd like a lumpy idle and low to mid-range power. I have access to HP Tuners, so the computer can be changed as needed.
I'm open to general and specific advice, also if anyone has anything laying around they want rid of speak up, cost is always a factor.

I'm running a comp 01-415-8, seems to work well for me but I dont really have anything to compare it against other than stock. I probably wouldn't go too much larger (not that this one is large), as i suspect you wouldn't see a bigger cam's true potential with the stock intake manifold.

smokymtn65

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine has a COMP XR-270HR-13 have no Idea how it sounds only had it run for short time so far, LOL waiting on new distributor to come to put intake back on after changing injectors.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'm not worried at all about performance, I have fast **** to feed that addiction....this is just to sound good.

If you want it to sound choppy, just shut off the o2 sensors and make the idle lean lol it'll sound choppy AF.

I guess it depends on what exactly you're looking for in sound. I know the cam I have doesn't sound stock but it isn't wild.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You already know sound is not the correct parameter to make a choice lol

That's not entirely true. My 1500 has an almost lope to it and a very meaty idle with the 109LSA and it's a very torquey cam. Not soft down low at all. 618 I considered this cam for my dually as well.

https://paceperformance.com/i-62549...mshaft-gen-vi-ho-crate-engine-roller-cam.html

I didn't go with it because I thought the exhaust duration split was excessive, but looking back I kinda doubt that's the case. These big motors really swallow a cam. I also went with a wider LSA because of the blower and the 454's propensity to knock. I was probably splitting hairs though.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good info.

My reasoning behind not caring about performance is the intended use of the truck. It's a toy, plain and simple. If it tows anything it'll be a car trailer, nothing more than that. Primary goal is to run, look, and sound good. Power is a secondary concern.