2 Water Pumps in 1 month?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebigcar

Reaction score
Apparently what's going is when companies moved their parts production offshore to China, there was still a large on hand inventory of parts in the U.S. that were made with much higher quality. We've now depleted those better quality parts and are 100% using the modern, Chinese junk parts inventory. Unfortunately having to replace brand new, lifetime warranty parts because they fail every year might be the new status quo for people with older cars who can't get OEM parts anymore.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve gotten fed up with replacing water pumps on my 95’s 305. Apparently this thing goes through them more than gas. I’ve put on an Advance Auto pump on and then finally a NAPA two weeks ago. They both are leaking from the back side on that cover plate NOT where it bolts to the block. Any ideas what’s up or is it just a reman issue?

You’re using Reman water pumps. I never use reman anything anymore unless I rebuilt it. Way too much junk out there. New pumps aren’t that expensive.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re using Reman water pumps. I never use reman anything anymore unless I rebuilt it. Way too much junk out there. New pumps aren’t that expensive.
I'm exactly the opposite.

"Reman" parts start out as quality OEM items, with the wear-parts replaced. Therefore, the basic parts--the core--is OEM quality, proven to work like it's supposed to.

"New" parts are nearly-always Communist Chinese garbage from front-to-back, side-to-side. Quality is totally dependent upon the ability of neo-slave labor to Receive and Duplicate (R&D) and then manufacture an existing design to the requirements of people in the USA (Communist Collaborators) to meet unrealistic cost goals. Keep in mind that there are factories in China that put nets on the roof so their employees can't jump off and commit suicide on company property. That's not a corporate culture I want to support.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Reman" parts start out as quality OEM items, with the wear-parts replaced. Therefore, the basic parts--the core--is OEM quality, proven to work like it's supposed to.

"New" parts are nearly-always Communist Chinese garbage from front-to-back, side-to-side. Quality is totally dependent upon the ability of neo-slave labor to Receive and Duplicate (R&D) and then manufacture an existing design to the requirements of people in the USA (Communist Collaborators) to meet unrealistic cost goals. Keep in mind that there are factories in China that put nets on the roof so their employees can't jump off and commit suicide on company property. That's not a corporate culture I want to support.
Agreed. Better 80% OEM than 100% Chinesium!

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

A good core is pointless and worthless if it’s loaded with cheap junk seals and bearings. All you got is a good core. I never said to buy a new cheap Chinese part. There are manufactures that have new parts that aren’t cheap Chinese parts. I order my stuff from online dealers selling quality factory parts or well known manufacturers. I just replaced my pump on my Ford a few years back. I found it on ford dealer for 230 bucks. A cheap Chinese one was about 120 and a reman about 90. The original pump went 180,000 miles. A factory pump should last another 180,000. And I guarantee you Edelbrock makes a water pump made for that engine that’s new made in USA. I did my wife’s Infiniti a few weeks ago. I ordered a factory Infiniti pump. $240. The factory original one lasted 195,000 miles.
There are also GM dealers who sell online and they only sell
quality factory parts. That or new top tier brand would be fine. Those were the new parts I’m talking about.

Buying a reman even though it’s a factory core rebuilt doesn’t mean anything. I had and seen too many issues with reman stuff breaking or being faulty out of the box so I simply dot buy them regardless of who rebuilt it.

Did a rack and pinion on a buddy’s Lexus. You could tell the rebuild was just crap ass junk. To me it loooked like a painted junkyard part that was cleaned up.
Put it in. Was popping while on the rack. Took it off. He ordered a new one online for $100 more than the “reman” one. Put it in. Worked great no issues. This is why I simply don’t buy anything reman anymore. .

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good core is pointless and worthless if it’s loaded with cheap junk seals and bearings. All you got is a good core. I never said to buy a new cheap Chinese part. There are manufactures that have new parts that aren’t cheap Chinese parts. I order my stuff from online dealers selling quality factory parts or well known manufacturers. I just replaced my pump on my Ford a few years back. I found it on ford dealer for 230 bucks. A cheap Chinese one was about 120 and a reman about 90. The original pump went 180,000 miles. A factory pump should last another 180,000. And I guarantee you Edelbrock makes a water pump made for that engine that’s new made in USA. I did my wife’s Infiniti a few weeks ago. I ordered a factory Infiniti pump. $240. The factory original one lasted 195,000 miles.
quality factory parts. That or new top tier brand would be fine. Those were the new parts I’m talking about.

Buying a reman even though it’s a factory core rebuilt doesn’t mean anything. I had and seen too many issues with reman stuff breaking or being faulty out of the box so I simply dot buy them regardless of who rebuilt it.

Did a rack and pinion on a buddy’s Lexus. You could tell the rebuild was just crap ass junk. To me it loooked like a painted junkyard part that was cleaned up.
Put it in. Was popping while on the rack. Took it off. He ordered a new one online for $100 more than the “reman” one. Put it in. Worked great no issues. This is why I simply don’t buy anything reman anymore. .
I get what your saying 1989GMCSIERRA but…
quality factory parts.
buying online parts for these trucks from online GM dealers your still going to get Chinese made Acdelco parts. I always look for NOS OEM but even an original water pump can be remanufactured by a reputable shop. Here’s an example of one:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I get what your saying 1989GMCSIERRA but…

buying online parts for these trucks from online GM dealers your still going to get Chinese made Acdelco parts. I always look for NOS OEM but even an original water pump can be remanufactured by a reputable shop. Here’s an example of one:
Correct.. even OEM new in many cases means China, these days, actually for quite a few years now.

I hear you on the higher tier aftermarket stuff - on that Edelbrock water pump, as an example, are you certain the casting was made here in the USA? Wonder where the bearing was sourced from? Are you sure it's not just.. assembled.. in the USA? Because it doesn't take much to claim it as USA-made when in fact the reality is often far from that.

Richard