1999 Chevrolet K2500 7.4L - Potential purchase; need feedback on condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where was the vehicle registered according to the Carfax? Some areas in NorCal gets snow and the salt that goes with it. Those chrome rocker covers look new, and that is a huge red flag for me. They are almost always put on to cover rust.
It looks decent, but nothing remarkable. I think you could find something closer to home that you could lay eyes on if you are patient.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where was the vehicle registered according to the Carfax? Some areas in NorCal gets snow and the salt that goes with it. Those chrome rocker covers look new, and that is a huge red flag for me. They are almost always put on to cover rust.
It looks decent, but nothing remarkable. I think you could find something closer to home that you could lay eyes on if you are patient.
Carfax just says California for all three owners.

Wouldn't the undercarriage be far more rusty if the vehicle was affected by salt?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carfax just says California for all three owners.
You should be able to trace registration through the VIN or Carfax.
Wouldn't the undercarriage be far more rusty if the vehicle was affected by salt?
Maybe. I've seen body panels rusted completely through on trucks that have solid frames.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got off the phone with the manager. They will get closer photos of the rocker panels, although that probably won't reveal rust (since it would be underneath).

Long story short, I told him the wheel alignment was necessary otherwise I would have to walk away. I told him, I could deal with crap engine, crap transmission, crap paint (but not extensive rust), but I could not deal with a bent frame.

He still gave me pushback...and you know what? He said they have an alignment rack in their shop. Like, WHAT? How the hell could he be so adamant about not putting it on the alignment rack if they have their own alignment rack? Huge red flag there. I don't know how else to rationalize it. He said we will wait for Lemon Squad to complete their inspection before he would consider asking his guys to put the truck on the alignment rack.

Something smells fishy. In the meantime, I made a Facebook account and I'll be browsing local 2500s for sale. I've only invested $300 in the truck thus far, so won't be difficult to walk away if I need to.

F.

If anyone is selling or knows someone selling a good condition 1998-2000 K2500 within 500 miles of Houston, please let me know.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More photos

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg