1999 Chevrolet K2500 7.4L - Potential purchase; need feedback on condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I sold my Jeep today, and I also found a potential 1999 K2500 with L29 and MT1 for purchase. I am in Texas, and the truck is in California. I do not think I am going to be able to inspect the truck in person. I am debating paying for a pre-inspection purchase from a 3rd party (e.g., Lemon Squad). I would also like to have the truck driven to the local Chevrolet dealer and have it placed on the alignment rack. I want to be certain the frame is not bent. I don't know if this is possible either, as the used car dealer said they are a small operation and do not have the manpower to spare. I don't think the pre-purchase inspector would be willing to do that either.

Here are photos of the truck. Dealer is asking little under $10,000. Could you please review them and let me know if you see any red flags (things you would walk away from)? It appears I can only post five photos per post. I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Note: The used car dealer provided me with the Carfax report which looks clean.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 50
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos 6-10

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 19

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos 11-15

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 26

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos 16-20

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 34

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos 21-25

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 24

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Heavy on the Armour All, that's for sure.

I'm really surprised they didn't replace the grille emblem, and the tailgate trim piece around the handle.

"Small operation", sounds like they don't want to do the extra work for a sale, although I've never asked for that, myself.

I'd want to see a truck myself.

K&N hot oily air intake...

I'd like to see better pictures of the door bottoms and rockers.... it amazes me when people are RIGHT there, yet somehow can't them in the picture.

I'd rather not have a CA emmisions, truck, which this one is.... air pump/injection and all the associated hoses that go with it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Very interesting about the missing bowtie and tailgate handle...is that a fresh paint job, with a dent in the right rear quarter panel/ bedside between the wheel well and the taillight? It does look awfully clean inside,and the chassis looks like average wear for its age. But that "chrome" rocker panel trim makes me wonder what it's covering up?
IF: the frame has no damage, it runs and stops and does everything else it should, and the mileage is right and the 4wd and trans have no issues... that's a decent price for a crew cab short bed. I agree with @454cid about the California emissions. You're stuck with that stuff as far as I know on a Texas registration and inspection, at least until it's 25 years old.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heavy on the Armour All, that's for sure.
Yup.

I'm really surprised they didn't replace the grille emblem, and the tailgate trim piece around the handle.
I know...I don't get it.

"Small operation", sounds like they don't want to do the extra work for a sale, although I've never asked for that, myself.
I can understand it though. That might take someone out of the used car dealership for several hours depending on how busy the alignment shop (Chevrolet dealer) is. So, I asked, but when the manager said they couldn't spare the personnel, I didn't push the issue. But, I can't shake the thought that I need to get it on an alignment rack or I may be sorry.

I'd want to see a truck myself.
I know...these trucks are so hard to find though, locally, and in great condition.

K&N hot oily air intake...
Yup, have to imagine the owner was an older person (not 20s, early 30s), and yet he somehow still thought a "cold air intake" was a good idea. First thing I would be ripping off and replacing with stock parts if I did indeed buy the truck.

I'd like to see better pictures of the door bottoms and rockers.... it amazes me when people are RIGHT there, yet somehow can't them in the picture.
It is a California truck, so maybe they are in fact in great shape. But, I will definitely be asking for closer pics tomorrow morning.

I'd rather not have a CA emmisions, truck, which this one is.... air pump/injection and all the associated hoses that go with it.
How bad is it really?

Status
Not open for further replies.