Pre Purchase Inspection out of town

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killer idea.

I drove 8 hours to look at a CCLB that looked nothing like the photos. That sucked.

I lucked out buying mine after seeing an ad on carsforsale.com, there wasn’t even a picture of it. I called the Chevrolet dealership, they sent a few pictures of it saying it had 46k. For $4500.00 I figured it had something mechanically wrong with it, but the body looked beautiful. Bought it unseen. Turns out the only thing it “needed” was an axel seal.
But I wouldn’t hesitate to use a service like this.
Holy cow. You got a hell of a deal. I never knew that’s what you paid.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Killer idea.

I drove 8 hours to look at a CCLB that looked nothing like the photos. That sucked.

Holy cow. You got a hell of a deal. I never knew that’s what you paid.
Golden horseshoe man. Not all of us get one. lol Drove 4 hours to look at one that had a little body damage thinking it could be a fix and flip and it was knocking like an S.O.B When I mentioned it, he jumped in it and started matting it repeated telling me there was nothing wrong with it. I was waiting for it come un-assembled in the middle of all this. lol

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this exact same process for Richlo . A good deal photos, written details. As an example of evaluating a vehicle, I applied the same process I used before.
1) I looked at it " if I was buying what would I want to know" , 2) I do prepurchase Aircraft inspections , using a critical eye for details, paperwork supplied.
3) Previous Automotive inspection, 200 point test checklist , nothing is overlooked.
I wasn't busy, a fellow truck enthusiast , he had a good plan prepared, the vehicle wasn't to far away, sure I'll try it.
And we'll , Richlo is best judge on how it turned out.
There are few more items I would add to the inspection, to be thorough.
Is there a demand, or market for this ? Hmmmm. :waytogo:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did this exact same process for Richlo . A good deal photos, written details. As an example of evaluating a vehicle, I applied the same process I used before.
1) I looked at it " if I was buying what would I want to know" , 2) I do prepurchase Aircraft inspections , using a critical eye for details, paperwork supplied.
3) Previous Automotive inspection, 200 point test checklist , nothing is overlooked.
I wasn't busy, a fellow truck enthusiast , he had a good plan prepared, the vehicle wasn't to far away, sure I'll try it.
And we'll , Richlo is best judge on how it turned out.
There are few more items I would add to the inspection, to be thorough.
Is there a demand, or market for this ? Hmmmm. :waytogo:
I'm sure there is and sure there are companies doing it. You see it on some selling platforms. Dealing with aircraft there's tons of paper but your steps ahead being familiar with the process in general.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Golden horseshoe man. Not all of us get one. lol Drove 4 hours to look at one that had a little body damage thinking it could be a fix and flip and it was knocking like an S.O.B and when I mentioned it, he jumped in it and started matting it repeated telling there was nothing wrong with it. I was waiting for it come un-assembled in the middle of all this. lol
When I was shopping for the truck I'd build into my first Sneeker wrecker back in 2003, I looked at many extended cab C3500 7.4 trucks. One of the first ones I saw was fortunately local, the seller had taken some creative pictures that hid the rust holes in the extended cab areas (rare around here so these were a big surprise), and when cranked up, it was knocking. He did the same, kept mashing the pedal like it was going to magically stop. Where do these people come from? You could tell that poor thing had been rode hard. I just walked away; it was a pile.

I ended up going a few hundred miles to Dallas to pick up the white '96 GMC that had 200K on it but had a 90K boneyard engine, truck was overall pretty clean and the seller (a dealer) had good pics on their site. No real surprises when I got it other than the headlight switch was bad so I drove home in the dark on the DRL's, and the hazard button was broken so I just left the right turn signal on in hopes nobody would rear-end me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I was shopping for the truck I'd build into my first Sneeker wrecker back in 2003, I looked at many extended cab C3500 7.4 trucks. One of the first ones I saw was fortunately local, the seller had taken some creative pictures that hid the rust holes in the extended cab areas (rare around here so these were a big surprise), and when cranked up, it was knocking. He did the same, kept mashing the pedal like it was going to magically stop. Where do these people come from? You could tell that poor thing had been rode hard. I just walked away; it was a pile.

I ended up going a few hundred miles to Dallas to pick up the white '96 GMC that had 200K on it but had a 90K boneyard engine, truck was overall pretty clean and the seller (a dealer) had good pics on their site. No real surprises when I got it other than the headlight switch was bad so I drove home in the dark on the DRL's, and the hazard button was broken so I just left the right turn signal on in hopes nobody would rear-end me.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Another nice looking truck, I'd settle for something like the burgundy one you posted somewhere. Rough around the edges ok for me.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Another nice looking truck, I'd settle for something like the burgundy one you posted somewhere.
If you mean the maroon '93 regular cab dually I picked up just a year ago now, that thing is such a pile it would have given any pre-inspection person the heebie jeebies. They would've recommended I run, not walk, from that deal! Unless it was free, or REALLY cheap. Unfortunately with GMT400 prices around SE TX, there's no such thing anymore!

Richard

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you mean the maroon '93 regular cab dually I picked up just a year ago now, that thing is such a pile it would have given any pre-inspection person the heebie jeebies. They would've recommended I run, not walk, from that deal! Unless it was free, or REALLY cheap. Unfortunately with GMT400 prices around SE TX, there's no such thing anymore!

Richard
Sometimes you gotta be brave when you jump in. lol.