Pre Purchase Inspection out of town

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I personally would never buy a used vehicle unless I get a chance to look over repair and maintenance paperwork, ask questions of the previous/current owner and do a thorough inspection/testing of the vehicle. If I am not allowed to do this, I walk away. Sometimes we find and want to buy a vehicle that is far enough away that it is cumbersome and a PITA to do all this before making a purchase offer. In this case, why not have a trusted member of the forum do the leg work and questioning for you. The proposed buyer can dictate the questions and the particular inspection concerns for the inspection process. A fee for this can be agreed upon by the proposed buyer and the inspecting member or member representative. No matter what the agreed cost is, it can save a headache/nightmare for the buyer or put them at ease with their remote purchase. I am in the PNW, in the Eugene, Oregon area and we have lots of rust free vehicles in the area. I know that a lot of people depend on CarFax but that only shows highlights of what has been reported. If this sounds like something that would interest any of you, message me.

I decided to add this: If the vehicle that needs inspected, is close enough to my home, I would be bringing it here for the inspection. All my tools are here and at the ready for my use to help with the inspection. I must also state that, the seller would never be allowed to be here at my home. Don't care if he/she hangs around if I inspect away from here but I do not want random people to see my location and tools. Sorry if that offends.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
...and some of us drive hundreds of miles to buy POS's that we aren't even sure will make the trip home. I almost walked away from this one, and sometimes feel like I should have!

You must be registered for see images attach

Very generous and thoughtful of you to offer this service. I suspect we have more than a few members here that would be willing to do the same in their area.

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
...and some of us drive hundreds of miles to buy POS's that we aren't even sure will make the trip home. I almost walked away from this one, and sometimes feel like I should have!

You must be registered for see images attach

Very generous and thoughtful of you to offer this service. I suspect we have more than a few members here that would be willing to do the same in their area.

Richard
That is what I am hoping will happen. Set up a network of members here and at TYF that can do this for other members. There would be charges of course and payments arranged but that should be easy to do. Need to make sure that time, labor and fuel charges are considered.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could see an assesment being beneficial , but being on the same page as far as expectations is critical. First thing I do is plug in and make sure odb diagnostics is still intact. I have a bit of a different perspective also, an engine or trans can be swapped in a lazy day but a tweaked frame might forever be a tire eating alignment issue. owner 2,3,4 and there might be no records available and not everything ends up on a Carfax. Also, you might be dealing with a savvy flipper reading you and saying what you want to hear. I've seen all kind of crap done to get them over the curb by car dealers. Trans medic, motor honey, under dash wiring hackery trying to get an ses light's off etc that's not always easy to identify at point of sale. There's still risk for the purchaser post inspection. Test drives only reveal stuff works today. Looking at projects for me I show up with a tram gauge, a paint thickness gauge and looking at the structural aspects.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I lucked out buying mine after seeing an ad on carsforsale.com, there wasn’t even a picture of it. I called the Chevrolet dealership, they sent a few pictures of it saying it had 46k. For $4500.00 I figured it had something mechanically wrong with it, but the body looked beautiful. Bought it unseen. Turns out the only thing it “needed” was an axel seal.
But I wouldn’t hesitate to use a service like this.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I lucked out buying mine after seeing an ad on carsforsale.com, there wasn’t even a picture of it. I called the Chevrolet dealership, they sent a few pictures of it saying it had 46k. For $4500.00 I figured it had something mechanically wrong with it, but the body looked beautiful. Bought it unseen. Turns out the only thing it “needed” was an axel seal.
Not everyone was born with a golden horseshoe buried in their A** lol Just kidding man. That was the deal of the century.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What’s crazy is there are still deals like this out there. Seems like there’s an endless supply of these low mileage trucks.
I've come across a few really clean ones @ double the price. For super clean 2500 that hasn't been worked to death you got a smokin' deal. Rag bomb 2500's pull that around here, but rust not generally an issue.