1999 Chevrolet K2500 7.4L - Potential purchase; need feedback on condition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I dont know man, I guess that was a poor choice of words. I dont live in a high crime area. sure theres petty theft like copper and wire ect and occasionally the odd vehicle gets stolen but it's not professionally done... its absolutely done to supply a bad habit and well, I live out in the country far away from most of it. it seems that the only people out in the country who have been victimized like this are the very wealthy who keep their toys out front with the keys in the ignition, garage wide open dont lock their doors. Yeah I lock up my stuff and my doors, but my truck only gets locked if were out in the city.

but I forgot about the whole part where 618 reminded me that hes buying it sight unseen.... I forgot all about that you know and so I would be asking a lot of questions myself but I do think it is absolutely worth the risk as the OP has got that company taking a look at it.

Rich just bought that car over the internet and got one of our users to go and take a look at it and that worked out very well.

I hope this deal works out too.

I'm not following you here.... staking it out? Like he's going to steel it? Wouldn't he just drive by at night with a roll back?

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’d shop around. I just picked this up Friday off marketplace. 99, 454, 4l80, 4:10s govlock (that work). Fully loaded less leather, even has a power sliding rear window. I put the cowl hood on, tires are crap, blew one out towing it home. Black wheels won’t fit on dolly so put stickers on it. Runs good, PO replaced brake line n could bleed brakes, n trans shifts weird into second. ZERO rust, paid 2300 for it. Look around, there out there

Attachments

• 3F135E02-B639-486A-ABCA-0229C8D1CB9A.jpeg
    3F135E02-B639-486A-ABCA-0229C8D1CB9A.jpeg
    665.4 KB · Views: 17
  • F366CE7B-2BF7-4CBF-8B6D-CB1AE9A2BF50.jpeg
    F366CE7B-2BF7-4CBF-8B6D-CB1AE9A2BF50.jpeg
    506.7 KB · Views: 17

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you all. I greatly appreciate the different insights and perspectives.

I will await the Lemon Squad inspection this Friday. Assuming there are no major problems on the inspection report, then I expect the used car dealer to put it on an alignment rack next week and show me the alignment is within factory specifications. I will walk away if they are not willing to do that, especially since they supposedly have an alignment rack in their shop.

I am so focused on the alignment because I can repair a bad engine, and a bad transmission, but not a bad frame. I used to be a tech at a few new car dealers (all Honda). In a different line of work now, but still wrench on my own vehicles. When I was a tech, we would get the occasional used car from auto auction. We got one, a Ford Super Duty. Not sure if it was an F-250 or F-350. Anyway, nice truck. Could easily see someone coming into the dealer, taking a look, and driving away with it IF they never asked it to be put on an alignment rack. Once we put it on the alignment rack, we noticed the alignment was F****D. Then we inspected the undercarriage and noticed the bent frame.

Anyway, I learned my lesson there. (Sure, one might notice the bad alignment during a test drive, but I think in this situation, I would rely more on the alignment print-out than a 3rd party inspector driving it and giving it the thumbs up.) Considering I cannot be there in person to inspect the vehicle, I'm trying to cover my bases.

Have a 3rd party technician inspect it (and possibly test drive it) on my behalf.
Have tons of photos and ask a group of experts to critique the photos.
Have the alignment performed.

If all those are satisfactory, then I should be able to proceed with the purchase and paying a transporter to bring it home.

Last edited:

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

What do you all think of that huge gash in the rocker panel (?) in this photo?

I think there is supposed to be a dimple there (both driver and passenger side on mine) so the corner of the rear door doesn't hit/contact the rocker.

Not sure why someone would fill than in, looks like the rear door may have made contact on that there (whatever it is) repair.

Here is my drivers side (from the factory) for reference.

Also noticed the chrome and rub strip are missing from behind the passenger rear wheel (below the dent), curious about that.

Looks like the drivers side headlight is a little wonky, not sure if that has something to do with the fender being maybe slightly higher than the hood on that side in the front, (to me it looks like the hood is touching the grill).

Would be nice to see a picture of the cab roof, taken by standing inside the bed, because why not, also the drivers side door sticker and rpo sticker/label in the glove box.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, I guess since I paid for the inspection, I'll see what they say, but it seems this truck must have been in a collision, and they tried their best to cover it up by paying for cheap body work/paint job out of pocket. Based on the evidence in the photos, that seems to be the case, right? If that's the case, I feel I can't trust the dealer because he's trying to cover $hit up. I'll take a $300 loss and look elsewhere. I'm so glad I reached out to this forum.

Edit: I cancelled the inspection and e-mailed the dealer that I would not be purchasing it. Thank you again everyone. I'll try and find one in Texas.

Last edited:

Rowdy Texan

Reaction score
Hello all, I sold my Jeep today, and I also found a potential 1999 K2500 with L29 and MT1 for purchase. I am in Texas, and the truck is in California. I do not think I am going to be able to inspect the truck in person. I am debating paying for a pre-inspection purchase from a 3rd party (e.g., Lemon Squad). I would also like to have the truck driven to the local Chevrolet dealer and have it placed on the alignment rack. I want to be certain the frame is not bent. I don't know if this is possible either, as the used car dealer said they are a small operation and do not have the manpower to spare. I don't think the pre-purchase inspector would be willing to do that either.

Here are photos of the truck. Dealer is asking little under $10,000. Could you please review them and let me know if you see any red flags (things you would walk away from)? It appears I can only post five photos per post. I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Note: The used car dealer provided me with the Carfax report which looks clean.
Well me personally I do t like buying anything I can’t look at , I drove all the way from east Tx to Indiana after a gutter machine one time on pics that looked great just to turn around and drive home without but because it didn’t run out right I learned my lesson then on that , now on the other hand if I wanted a road trip and didn’t mind coming back if I did t like it sure I’d go look at it , may see something nicer between here and there, on the 454 note. Depending on where Your at i say rip all that cali crap out and run it Tx style but. To each their own, I like mine for “off-road “ use But from what I see it looks like a 22 yr old truck that’s had some attention given to it. Interior looks clean and not bad shape, body looks nice, etc. that’s my 2 cents for free

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello all, I sold my Jeep today, and I also found a potential 1999 K2500 with L29 and MT1 for purchase. I am in Texas, and the truck is in California. I do not think I am going to be able to inspect the truck in person. I am debating paying for a pre-inspection purchase from a 3rd party (e.g., Lemon Squad). I would also like to have the truck driven to the local Chevrolet dealer and have it placed on the alignment rack. I want to be certain the frame is not bent. I don't know if this is possible either, as the used car dealer said they are a small operation and do not have the manpower to spare. I don't think the pre-purchase inspector would be willing to do that either.

Here are photos of the truck. Dealer is asking little under $10,000. Could you please review them and let me know if you see any red flags (things you would walk away from)? It appears I can only post five photos per post. I would greatly appreciate your insight.

Note: The used car dealer provided me with the Carfax report which looks clean.
No. A small time lot that isnt willing to provide an independant inspection because they dont have the manpower?
If that truck was worth the money any reputable dealer would find a way to finish that sale.
That is a greased pig.
It looks nice because its been slathered with everything but bacon grease.
Dont buy it bud.
Plus, its out of state.
You probably loose all contructual rights and right to rescind rights and possibly state usary rights when you do that transaction.
Dont do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.