1967 Dodge D100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got a friend on fakebook down in Argentina who is building one of these. Dead sexy if you ask me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221004-193045_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221004-193045_Samsung Internet.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 310227995_10217974174585721_4716849149324769753_n.jpg
    310227995_10217974174585721_4716849149324769753_n.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 14

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Heres some interesting history. Note the remnants of the small pentastar on the lower RH side of the front fender on your pickup. That became standard equipment on all chrysler products from 1964-1972. What's left is the plastic. There was a gold anodized aluminum insert glued to it.

At that time all GM dealerships had the GM big square, and ford had the blue oval and ford script logo marks and people knew what these meant. Chrysler wanted a similar logo mark and that's how the pentastar was born.

Heres the the deal with it being only on the RH side was after the pentastar logo mark was designed, that the marketing guys along with having the pentastar featured prominently on every dealership sign, they also wanted the pentastar logo mark in gold tone finish on the lower side of both front fenders so when somebody looked at one parked, and didnt know the vehicle make, their attention was drawn to the "gold star" and they could instantly recognize it as a chrysler product.

The bean counters hated this idea because of the costs of punching the holes for it on every left and right car and truck fender, along with the sheer volume of these little ornaments that would adorn all chrysler vehicles, and at that time it was Dodge, Fargo, Pymouth, Chrysler, Imperial.

The compromise between the marketing dept and the bean counters was that it was to be put only on the RH side lower fender leg on all vehicles. The bean counters argued that this was curb side and the side that would be seen most of the time which was what marketing wanted.

Whenever you go to a car show, look at any restored 64-72 mopar in the RH side lower fender leg there will be a pentastar unless they filled in the holes. If there is one on the left side, it was added in. It is not stock. In the 90s chrysler brought this tradition back for several years and had them on the RH side only.

Interesting to note my chevy HHR has little chrome GM square badging on the front door lower edges on both sides. I remember GM doing this with several models in the mid 2000s so people would see, hmmm this is a General motors product.

The late 1963, and early 1964 vehicles it was shipped in the glovebox with a vehicle specific template for dealer install at dealer prep time, after that they were installed on the assembly line. If you decide to put the pentastar back on the fender for tradition sake, these are pretty inexpensive as repops. About $8 for one. At least you know the history behind it.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's still there. It's black now. I'm just leaving it. I want to keep it looking like it was just dragged out of a field. No patina sauce or anything.
Thank goodness. Nothing cringier at this point than fake "patina" - back in the day we drove rusty, patchwork, multi-color stuff because we were broke. Or if we had a few bucks we'd rattle can them, usually flat black, in protest of driving gray or red oxide primer jobs around. The current trend of airbrushing/sanding/etc. flaws and wear into what would have otherwise been a decent or not horrible paint job, just makes me wanna puke. OK there's my rant for the morning. Howdy. I'm Richard and I'm a crabby old dude or something, now get off my lawn!

Richard

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank goodness. Nothing cringier at this point than fake "patina" - back in the day we drove rusty, patchwork, multi-color stuff because we were broke. Or if we had a few bucks we'd rattle can them, usually flat black, in protest of driving gray or red oxide primer jobs around. The current trend of airbrushing/sanding/etc. flaws and wear into what would have otherwise been a decent or not horrible paint job, just makes me wanna puke. OK there's my rant for the morning. Howdy. I'm Richard and I'm a crabby old dude or something, now get off my lawn!

Richard

It was kinda cool the first time or two, but it got played out.

I think about half the trucks in my group of friends back in the day were primer grey.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

Richard
Yes, and nothing cringier than these late model, often expensive import cars with matte paint. Either you think it's a rat/hot rod (it ain't!) or you want to be low visibility for nefarious purposes...is what crosses my mind when I see one.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I hope that the clear-coat peel goes in style, I’d be rich! My dodge would be worth more than a Toyota T100 and a Winchester rifle (Or, $2,000 book value according to Kelly Blue Book).
This truck had a really unique look. The factory silver paint was peeling in big pieces, and the longer it sat in my salvage yard, the worse it got - the peeled areas would even fill up a little bit with rainwater so they'd form saggy pockets that would splash you if you nudged them while walking between the trucks. It was annoying, but funny somehow.

Now that's "patina" :rofl:

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard