14 Bolt Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dropping 50-odd lbs off the rotating mass is like having one less steel rim installed.

So yeah, it's significant.

Most especially to acceleration and MPG.

Braking performance between rear discs/drums is pretty much moot, more so with an effective ABS or RABS.

A truck that spends significant time buried up to it's rockers in mud and such can benefit from discs, which are (for the most part) self cleaning.

Drums tend to fair better on a road vehicle in a corrosive environment (IE: salty roads, etc).

Drums make it much easier to incorporate a parking brake. Important if you have a manual transmission or annual vehicle inspections.

Vehicles that tow and make heavy use of their brakes can benefit from discs as they shed heat faster and are less susceptible to fade. They also recover faster from fade due to aforementioned better heat shedding. Yes, OTR trucks predominantly use drums. That's a whole different kettle o' fish.....

Whether or not it's worth the hassle and expense to switch from drums to discs on a regular use pickup is completely dependent on the individual owner.

Then there's the guys like me have already "optimized" wheel and tire selection and just can't leave well enough alone, although I'll likely leave the drums be as they fit well with 90-95% of my usage.

But there's always that little guy in the back of my brain whispering: "Dooooo Eeeeeeet, you know you want to".....

:)

Don't get me wrong, I love disk brakes... Even OTR trucks are going to them now :driver: I just think people are a little infatuated with them lately... Drums work fine :shrug:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
correct, I was talking about the hub/pressing studs

Maybe we're just saying the same thing in different ways.

If you're saying the hub and drum assembly slide off after removing the axle shafts and retaining nut, then I agree.

If you are saying the drums can be removed from the hub without pressing the wheel studs out, then I do not agree.

:)

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull the axel and I can slide my drums off, I don't have to mess with the hub/ nut/studs at all.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
pull the axel and I can slide my drums off, I don't have to mess with the hub/ nut/studs at all.

Yep, mine is different then.

The hub assembly has to come off with my drums.

My drum is behind the flange, sounds like yours is in front of the flange.

I do believe the 1 tons and duallys were in front and the 3/4 tons were behind.

CC I *think* had slide off drums like the duallys.

Don't quote me on any of that though.

GM is known for doing some weird mixing and matching sometimes...

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I love disk brakes... Even OTR trucks are going to them now :driver: I just think people are a little infatuated with them lately... Drums work fine :shrug:

Meh, it's all about how you intend to use them.

Well, that......and your wallet size.

:rofl:

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, mine is different then.

The hub assembly has to come off with my drums.

My drum is behind the flange, sounds like yours is in front of the flange.

I do believe the 1 tons and duallys were in front and the 3/4 tons were behind.

CC I *think* had slide off drums like the duallys.

Don't quote me on any of that though.

GM is known for doing some weird mixing and matching sometimes...

that makes sense, mine is a 3500 and the shoes are wider than they were on my 2500 with a 14bff. the shoe width would explain drum placement.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
For you with drums that do not slide off without pulling the shafts and hubs, what RPO code do you have for brakes?

I have been hearing of more and more axles needing to be pulled, and suspect it boils down to the RPO code.

I can pull my drums off after simply pulling the wheel off....... now that I keep the mating surfaces coated with anti-seize. My drums are on the front of the hubs. My brakes are JB8 (SRW).

Last edited:

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great discussion! I have a rusted stripped rear bleeder, no access. I would like to get the brake system power bled after master cylinder change. I have a G80, my brake RPO is JB7. Anyone know if JB7 = axle flanges?)

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Great discussion! I have a rusted stripped rear bleeder, no access. I would like to get the brake system power bled after master cylinder change. I have a G80, my brake RPO is JB7. Anyone know if JB7 = axle flanges?)

So your drums do or don't slide off?

What do you mean does JB7= axle flanges?