14 Bolt FF Brake Shoe Width with 13" Drums - Updated with Answer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good morning gents,

I had recently bought a 14 bolt FF rearend with 13" Drums for a 95 Diesel Van from a scrap yard. I'm trying to buy parts before I break open the hubs to replace the seals, bearings and brake shoes. Looking online, it appears there are 2.5" Width shoes and 3.5" width shoes. I can't access the shoes without pulling the axles and drums and I was hoping there was some way to confirm what they are prior. Reading different forums, it looks like most 2 wheel rearends like this use 2.5" width shoes, but apparently there are some that also have 3.5" width.

Does anyone know a way to confirm without having to pull the axles?

Thank you so much,

Frank

Update: Piecing together some information from a thread in this forum and a discussion with a buddy that knew, you can easily figure this out by looking at the backing plate. The 3.5" brake pad will have a concave backing plate while a 2.5" brake pad will have a mostly flat backing plate.

Example of backing plate for 3.5" width brake shoes (Discontinued Part Number 15622343)

You must be registered for see images attach

Example of my backing plate for 2.5" width Brake Shoes

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that 14" full float has 3.5" while the 14" semi float has 2.5". Are there exceptions? Sure. You could also go to GMPartsGiant, enter your VIN, and see if it provides a particular part number.

Vanishing Point

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Judging by the info you have given us, and the lack of available RPO codes. Our best guess as xXxPARAGONxXx suggested would be for PN#12477878 G3 (JB8) to be 13X3.5 length and width or PN#18023341,PN# 88964441 G3 (JB7,JD7) to be 13X2.5 length and width all discontinued by GMPartsGiant.com. But you still might be able to cross-reference their part numbers to another source and brand for purchase, such as AAM or West Coast Differentials. Again, for your bearings and seals, in case you run into trouble acquiring those parts? Anyway let us know how you proceed and good luck!

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry but I don't have a vin number on the truck it came off of, it was a lone rearend from the scrapyard with a reference to a 95 Diesel Van. I actually was able to piece some information together from a contact and another thread on here about backing plates. The backing plate for a 3.5" brake pad (Discontinued PN 15622343) is concave while a 2.5" is mostly flat. I'll update the main post to share the knowledge.

Thank you for your input and help.

Last edited:

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that 14" full float has 3.5" while the 14" semi float has 2.5". Are there exceptions? Sure. You could also go to GMPartsGiant, enter your VIN, and see if it provides a particular part number.

Yes sir, 14 bolt full floating rearends could have different type brakes depending on the drum. Some came with 13" drums while some came with ~11" Drums. With the 13" Drums, some came with the 2.5" Wide shoes and some came with 3.5" shoes. Most single wheel (non-dually), 13" drums will have 2.5" wide pads but some will have 3.5" wide pads. I put the answer above in the main thread but you can quickly figure out which you have by looking at the backing plate. The backing plate for 3.5" shoes is concave in the center to allow more room for the shoes while the backing plate for 2.5" wide pads is mostly flag in the center.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes sir, 14 bolt full floating rearends could have different type brakes depending on the drum. Some came with 13" drums while some came with ~11" Drums. With the 13" Drums, some came with the 2.5" Wide shoes and some came with 3.5" shoes. Most single wheel (non-dually), 13" drums will have 2.5" wide pads but some will have 3.5" wide pads. I put the answer above in the main thread but you can quickly figure out which you have by looking at the backing plate. The backing plate for 3.5" shoes is concave in the center to allow more room for the shoes while the backing plate for 2.5" wide pads is mostly flag in the center.
I'll have to look at Rawhide, see what the backing plate looks like. I just looked at Rock Auto and they give both sizes for a C3500, without specific information on SRW/DRW.