14 Bolt Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Alright, here goes nothing...

Everywhere I read that the newer, 88 and up, 14 bolt FF axles should have drums that slip off the rear hub without pulling the axle shaft. Mine look like this.
You must be registered for see images attach

I have found several kits to convert over to disc brakes and need to know what will work for me...

This is what I keep seeing and don't know what about mine is different... Can someone explain the difference, or possibly tell me where my axle came from?
http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/39431-14-Bolt-Disc-Brake-Upgrade

Thanks,
Chris

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yours are definitely not the slip on style drums...

Sent from what use to be a great country.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take out the bolts holding the axle shaft in... Remove axle shaft... Remove outer wheel bearings... Pull hub off... Drive studs out with a sledge hammer... Drum falls off... Easy right?

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can remove the drums on my 97 ff without pulling the hubs.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe you have an older axle than the truck... Those u-bolts look newer than the spring pack.

Reaction score
alrighty, so that being said, if I wanted to convert over to disc brakes I should be able to use the kits for pre 87 axles...

Yea, pulling the brake drums is "easy"... Gotta order a new parking brake cable so I get to pull both when that comes in.

Thanks for the info, now I know I'll be better off if I go that route. I have been debating finding an 11.5" ring gear rear since I'm running the 6.6L.

Choices :p

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
My 98 has the 10.5 FF axle. The drums do not "slide off". They are behind the hubs and pressed in studs.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ruger, the u bolts were changed for the lift.

Great white, any chance you've had the truck since new?

Nope, but the truck is as delivered from the factory. Two guys owned it before me and I know both of them. First guy order it the way it is because he had a very large slide in camper and an aluminum jet boat he used to haul around (usually at the same time). Second guy has a construction company and it was his traveling/personal vehicle.

Neither changed the rear axle.

Probably the only thing that hasn't been changed at least once on the POS....

Last edited: