14 Bolt Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I made an assumption. From what Ive read in this thread I thought
some drums...
1) slide off when the wheel is removed or
2) require an axle to drum adapter "flange" to be removed before the drum comes off and lastly
3)require the entire axle and drum to come off as an assembly.
Please correct any errors

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Maybe I made an assumption. From what Ive read in this thread I thought
some drums...
1) slide off when the wheel is removed or
2) require an axle to drum adapter "flange" to be removed before the drum comes off and lastly
3)require the entire axle and drum to come off as an assembly.
Please correct any errors

Yes on #1, no on #3, and I have no idea what you are talking about on #2 :)

Some of them apparently require the hub to be removed, which was always the case prior to 88. On those, the hub and drum come off together. The axle shafts have to come out first. All the axles have flanges..... it's what the brake backing plates attach to, or the caliper mounts/brackets in the case of disc brakes.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, okay I think im tracking with you. One last question, does pulling the axles require opening up the pumpkin?

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not on a full floating rear. just unbolt it from the hub,and slide out the shaft.
if it was a semi floating axle, you would have to remove the diff cover and remove the c clips to remove the shaft.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So before I hijacked the thread the last question was from 454cid, if I may paraphrase "Are there RPO codes that identify ff and sf axles?" Anyone?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So before I hijacked the thread the last question was from 454cid, if I may paraphrase "Are there RPO codes that identify ff and sf axles?" Anyone?

Not quite. What I'm asking is for the brake RPO codes for those with full floating axles that have the drums on the backside of the hubs. My drums are on the front side of the hubs.

tomb

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record, RPO JB7 drums slide off. Axle removal requires the diff opened up. :(

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Diff does not have to be opend to remove the axles on a FF axle... Thats the whole point.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
BTW, My 98 has to have the hubs removed to pull the brake drums off. They are behind the flanges with the wheel studs pressed thru them.