Windstar efan conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the time, money and effort involved in doing this swap worth it? Do you feel a performance difference in the drivers seat?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont know. I rebuilt the shortblock with an LT1 cam and Vortec heads and headers. Added the E-fans in the process. It runs like a striped ape, and I enjoy being able to see my motor. And I still need a tune...But, to answer your question, yes, I think it is worth the time and money. The fans cost me >$10. The thermostatic switch was >$18. The relays with pigtails were $12 for a 5-pack. Bought some wire and connectors and a fuse block ~$30. Plus I enjoyed the heck out of making it fit the radiator.

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
I was running a 195*. Yesterday i changed it to a 180*

I’ve been running a 180 in mine also and I’m just wondering if it is cooling too much. The temp never even gets near 200 and I believe the tbi engine runs around 200 for optimal running. I have a single dual speed fan out of an older tbird I grabbed from the bone yard. I’ve been thinking of putting the 195 back in and see how it goes L0L!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I read one of the members here account of switching and he said he did pick up enough power that he noticed.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been running a 180 in mine also and I’m just wondering if it is cooling too much. The temp never even gets near 200 and I believe the tbi engine runs around 200 for optimal running. I have a single dual speed fan out of an older tbird I grabbed from the bone yard. I’ve been thinking of putting the 195 back in and see how it goes L0L!

With the 195* I ran 195* almost constantly. With the thermo switch turning off at 185* my fans ran constantly. I went with the 180* hoping that the fans wouldnt run except in extreme circumstances (i.e. bumper-to-bumper traffic in 100*+ heat). Im also not a normal TBI motor anymore, because of the Vortec heads and stuff. I still need a tune, so I can compensate for the 180* stat when I get the EGR turned off.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks kickass. I wondered about how much juice they pull.

I am still running the stock 105A alternator and my volt gauge doesnt even wiggle when the fan comes on-at least Ive never been able to catch it wiggling...

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
With the 195* I ran 195* almost constantly. With the thermo switch turning off at 185* my fans ran constantly. I went with the 180* hoping that the fans wouldnt run except in extreme circumstances (i.e. bumper-to-bumper traffic in 100*+ heat). Im also not a normal TBI motor anymore, because of the Vortec heads and stuff. I still need a tune, so I can compensate for the 180* stat when I get the EGR turned off.

That makes sense, I want to eventually do the vortec heads but since I’m in ca I need the egr and the gm intake that had the provision for it is really expensive L0L! I don’t mind the fan running all the time. I am however still trying to figure out how I can turn it off when I turn off the engine. How is yours setup for this or does yours also keep running after the ignition is off? It hasn’t had any bad effects on the battery but I don’t want it to in the future.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im using a switched 12v as the feed for the relays, so when my key is off, so are the fans. The one thing I dont like is that if I switch over to accessory to finish listening to a song when I stop, the fans still run. So, i need to locate a a switched 12v that isnt on the accessory circuit.