Efans conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RKC_IV

Reaction score
Did a fan conversion on my 98 only question is the temp wire, I tapped into the wire on the side of the block and it made my temp gauge shoot up past 260. The truck is not warm or hot it just instantly shoots up past 260. So I redid the connection like in the picture and put in the fitting that came with the kit but the gauge is still maxed out so the fans are on as soon as I turn the key on. The temp wire for the relay is also connected to a ground. How do I fix this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You tapped into a temperature gauge sending unit to try and control your fan, and that's a no-go. You need a temp switch to control your fans. The sending unit has a variable resistance to vary the current to the temp gauge, while a temp switch is normally open and closes when the temperature exceeds a preset limit. Your gauge sending unit should only go to the gauge. Splitting it off to another circuit changes the current flow, giving you an inaccurate reading.

If I remember right, there's a bung next to the thermostat that you can use for a temp switch.