What will i gain switching to 1.6 rocker arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboysteve91

Reaction score
I want more power out of my 96 350 but don't want to pull the motor to do so if I don't have to as I dropped it in less then 6 months ago. Whipping shities on frozen lake lmao. But I have the heads from the old motor I already had them pocket ported and polished I'm trying to upgrade my valve train for power. And I know alot of people are criticizing me for adding power to an L31 2 bolt main but besides the point. Can I put in 1.6 rocker arms with my factory cam and still make more hp and if so what's my gain trying to decide if it's worth it or save up more and buy a decent cam which I plan on anyways but isn't in the budget currently any advice is appreciated

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last I knew, the heads would need machining for pushrod clearance. The ROI will take a lot longer than you think for a few extra ponies...
You don't have to pull the engine, but the entire top half needs to dismantled.

Cowboysteve91

Reaction score
Last I knew, the heads would need machining for pushrod clearance. The ROI will take a lot longer than you think for a few extra ponies...
You don't have to pull the engine, but the entire top half needs to dismantled.
Yes the did machine the holes to half inch and also up graded the rocker studs to 3/8 arp

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean the 1.6 ratio will help exaggerate the valve events of the stock cam slightly however it’s not going to be a big HP gain alone. Combined with a different cam then there is a substantial potential for a gain depending on how large you go of course.

Cowboysteve91

Reaction score
I mean the 1.6 ratio will help exaggerate the valve events of the stock cam slightly however it’s not going to be a big HP gain alone. Combined with a different cam then there is a substantial potential for a gain depending on how large you go of course.
So last question I had is it a good idea to go a bit overkill on valve springs as far as what I can put in for lift because I wanted to go with something like a stage 2 where my max lift would be about .495/.503 for the cam I want or should I wait till I have everything to put together

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'll be like 10hp, probably debatable whether you'd notice it or pretend you're noticing it. I'd probably do valvetrain, heads, and cam all at the same time just for the sake of doing it once and also you'll see real gains with the intended combo.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the springs need to match the cam, normally the cam manufacturer will specify which part number valvesprings to use. Or any good cylinder head builder cam spec you a matching set of springs. By matching they dint have to be the same brand but they need to be close to the optimal specs the cam needs. The larger and quicker the valve events are the higher the spring pressures needed. Fiat tappet vs roller matters as well.

Keeper

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want more power out of my 96 350 but don't want to pull the motor to do so if I don't have to as I dropped it in less then 6 months ago. Whipping shities on frozen lake lmao. But I have the heads from the old motor I already had them pocket ported and polished I'm trying to upgrade my valve train for power. And I know alot of people are criticizing me for adding power to an L31 2 bolt main but besides the point. Can I put in 1.6 rocker arms with my factory cam and still make more hp and if so what's my gain trying to decide if it's worth it or save up more and buy a decent cam which I plan on anyways but isn't in the budget currently any advice is appreciated
How Much? Not Much

Specs per GM Powertrain
OE Lobe Lifts are about 0.276" Intake & 0.285" Exhaust
w/ OE 1.5:1 RAR, Valve Lifts are about 0.414" Intake & 0.428" Exhaust
w/ aftermarket 1.6:1 RAR, Valve Lifts are about 0.442" Intake & 0.456" Exhaust

a net gain of less than thirty thousandth's valve lift; again, Not Much.
if you're lucky, duration will net about one whole degree more as well; Not Much.

*suggest more camshaft*
Summit offers a 4-stage selection of all USA billet steel step-nose hyd roller cams for under $280; a comparatively good value, as virtually all others in that price range are ground on a cast iron core.