Weird metal on magnetic drain plug..what do you think it is??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You sample shows signs of surface pitting, spalling, and micro-fractures. It's likely a result of rolling contact fatigue, and is very, very likely a piece of cam lobe. The cams are surface hardened, and pieces like that result when that hard surface separates from the softer metal below it. The lip or ridge on the edge is the unworn portion of the lobe that the lifter roller doesn't contact. The slight curvature of the edge matches that of a cam lobe as well. I would pull and cut open an oil filter and inspect the filter media for metallic "glitter". You'll probably find a good bit. Beyond that, pull the intake and inspect the cam and lifters.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ best guess so far with the cam lobe.

Have you ever run a used oil analysis before? with a failure that large there is bound to be some glaring warning signs in the oil that will point you to the root cause.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ask because I have a 6.0 in an 06 Yukon that's had oil pressure issues on startup for several years. Was told it was the sensor or the oil pump O rings, but never got into it. Quit driving it because the trans temp sensor is bad,so it keeps throwing it into limp mode. If I knew then what I know now about LS motors we wouldn't have bought that truck. It was good till it got about 160 thou on it and then **** started to break. I'll keep my 350, it just keeps on going.......

Did you check the oil pressure sender filter (or screen?) I think I mentioned in another thread about this...

Oil pump O rings? Is that the o-ring on the pickup tube? The oil pump itself does not have any o-rings. Of course, neither of these issues would help your transmission temp sender.

I bought an '06 Suburban 2500 with LQ4 6.0 2wd and has 234,000 miles in the Spring and she seems pretty healthy. Seems she was taken care of. And recently bought another one, just an '04 4x4 that's a bit of rough shape, but has 186,000 miles. Needs some body work, but engine/tranny seem solid. The '06 is for my wife and I'll keep the 4x4. Both are fun to drive with the 4L80e and 4.10s for being such a heavy vehicle. But these are my first "LS" engine vehicles...

A co-worker had a '03 Tahoe with a 4.8 that he passed on to his daughter-in-law with like 325,000 miles. Engine is still going strong.

As far as the piece being a chunk of camshaft, that's very possible. I know the Gen IV have that stupid LOMA/AFM stuff that can starve oil to certain cylinder valvetrain. It can be a problem on those engines, but didn't think it was a problem in Gen III engines.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the fragment hard or soft steel? Does it resist a file or succumb to it? Might give a clue to what it was a part of originally.

Don't forget that there are other possibilities other than something built into the engines mechanicals. The PCV system administers air and anything else that can find its way in there - eg, a disintegrating PCV valve.
Its is hard you cant scratch it like babbit material that a bearing is made from

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You sample shows signs of surface pitting, spalling, and micro-fractures. It's likely a result of rolling contact fatigue, and is very, very likely a piece of cam lobe. The cams are surface hardened, and pieces like that result when that hard surface separates from the softer metal below it. The lip or ridge on the edge is the unworn portion of the lobe that the lifter roller doesn't contact. The slight curvature of the edge matches that of a cam lobe as well. I would pull and cut open an oil filter and inspect the filter media for metallic "glitter". You'll probably find a good bit. Beyond that, pull the intake and inspect the cam and lifters.
It does seem to fit the description. The first peice was over a year ago. Exactly the same characteristics.

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tore down a junkyard 5.3 today
It doesnt match the camshaft.
Doesnt match the crank, doesnt match the valve train. The pistons and connecting rods had been pulled. Tomorrow ill rem9ve oil pump and see if it looks close

You must be registered for see images attach

August76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Someone had removed the pistons so i was able to save alot of time.
Tomorrow ill have to removevwhats left of the harmonic blancer and disect the oil pump .
So anyway i like to practice on junkyard stuff. Ive never dug deep into a ls1 motor. I dont like them. Im a mechanic but im into 350s and 7.3 diesel engines. So i am learning here.
I have to figure out the auto 4wd problem too. It always worked before but now it acts like its in 4low part time fully locked and loaded when its in auto mode. On dry pavement, so that aint right. I might pull a decent motor if i can find something low miles, or rebuild a block and swap later. But i really want to know what the hell this metal is. My 1 year old and 3 year old boys ride in this and with weather in Arizona we cant afford to break down in Phoenix at 110 degrees waiting on a tow truck from triple A