Vortec Throttle Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CowlBoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If yall want to gain some throttle response back. check out this mod!!!

98z71 5.7 vortec
tools
torqx screw driver
flat head screw driver

You must be registered for see images attach

first off, take the two torqx screws out and slide the TB blade out, then with the flat head screw driver take and pry the restrictor plate off, i sealed the two holes back with steel rivets but epoxy or silicone will work as well. NOTE IF THE 2 HOLES ARNT SEALED CORRECTLY IT WILL RESULT IN HIGH IDDLEING ISSUES!!

RESULTS 25% more air flow
You must be registered for see images attach

97c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great Write up I thought about doing this but then decided not to because on other forums members were talking about how it made there truck shift weird they also were complaining about how in stop go traffic it would jump instead of creep forward

Once you get past the BS it has some good info on the mod
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2751

Last edited:

CowlBoy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you do the way i said then you will be fine. those guys saying there truck shifts weird is because they didnt seal the two holes up that were made from pullin the restrictor off. wen i pulled my restrictor plate off i put it back in with out sealing the two holes to see wat happens and my truck iddled at like 1200rpms and shifted all out wack. so i sealed the two holes up and that fixed the problem.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
Trust me, if something goes wrong you'll be the first to know :crazy: I'll probably throw a little RVT in there instead as I have a **** load laying around.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that restrictor was put there to introduce some turbulence and help mix the incoming EGR gasses. I got rid of the restrictor on mine a while ago. its decent, you'll get some more off the line SOTP gain, but its kindof a pseudo benefit since its not actually adding much horsepower, its just giving you more air at the low throttle positions, so like 1% throttle position without the blade would be like 2% with the blade, 4% vs 8%, etc, and it will mainly be noticable down low since with the restrictor on, after ~10% or something throttle position it isn't blocking off half the opening, its mainly just causing turbulence, so at WOT you probably won't notice much. but it'll give you some extra throttle response.

people have complained that it causes the truck to lose some finesse on takoffs, maing the throttle more of an on/off switch...but I don't know about that, I've had it gone for several years, and I have a high performance grabby clutch and I can still take off smoothly...you'll just have to get used to being more carefull with your right foot in the worst case scenario.

there are also companies out there that sell flat replacement blades if you just wanted a simple swap out instead of trying to drill or pry the restrictor off. like this:
http://marine-performance-parts.com/cfmtechhighflowthrottlebladefor96vortectruck5057.aspx

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trust me, if something goes wrong you'll be the first to know :crazy: I'll probably throw a little RVT in there instead as I have a **** load laying around.

I would not use RTV to seal the holes, remember this is in the intake tract, so whatever you use, you want to make sure it is 100% permanent and won't age and come off or anything, because if anything comes off, its going into the combustion chamber. if it were me I'd rivet the holes or something.

slim

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
interesting, i might try this too..was there a noticeable gain in throttle response?

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
I would not use RTV to seal the holes, remember this is in the intake tract, so whatever you use, you want to make sure it is 100% permanent and won't age and come off or anything, because if anything comes off, its going into the combustion chamber. if it were me I'd rivet the holes or something.

It's just to try it out initially, I'll let it cure over night and give it a try saturday or sunday morning, if I like the changes it'll get pulled out rivets, I just don't have any at the house currently.