Valve cover/Cylinder head weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The way to test hardness of a metal is to touch a file to it. If it tries to bite in it's soft. If it just glides across the surface it's hard. The tips will always be hardened,it's the rods you have to check.
I'm not seeing much oil on those rocker balls.
I ran a pretty fresh file over them and it was very defiinitely a “gliding” feeling.

Before you put the valve covers on for good dribble a little oil on those rocker balls so their not running dry till the oil gets up to the top.
Will do!

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GoToGuy hit it before I did. No Magnafluxing of non-ferrous metals such as aluminum. Also, "Racing Valve Job"? WTF does that mean? Suggest that you find another engine guy.
I wish I could tell ya what that meant lol. I received the engine this way and I can assure you I wouldn’t have this guy do an oil change on any of my vehicles at this point.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing "Racing valve job" is referring to a six angle valve job,three on the valves,three on the seats. No way of knowing without pulling the heads and removing the valves to see.
Then he puts stamped steel rockers back on it and butchers the the valve cover rails rather than buy the correct tall valve covers. Yeah I'm thinking a lot of BS going on there.

Just because monkeys have opposable thumbs doesn't mean they should be allowed to use tools.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm guessing "Racing valve job" is referring to a six angle valve job,three on the valves,three on the seats. No way of knowing without pulling the heads and removing the valves to see.
Then he puts stamped steel rockers back on it and butchers the the valve cover rails rather than buy the correct tall valve covers. Yeah I'm thinking a lot of BS going on there.

Just because monkeys have opposable thumbs doesn't mean they should be allowed to use tools.
Now that I’m ruminating on it, it’s possible that he bought whatever these heads are and just slapped leftover rockers on them, screwed up the valve cover rail and sent it out the door. I doubt he did the machine work on it if this is how he mounts valve covers. Thankfully the engine hasn’t ever left me stranded or been unreliable so credit where it’s due I suppose.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd settle for public caning.

Every prison sentence that's currently 6-months or less, should be replaced by six whacks. Every prison sentence 6-months or longer should be reduced by six months, and they get six whacks. Same thing at the end--let 'em out six months early, after giving them another six whacks. Saves the taxpayer money, prevents semi-minor offenses from causing folks to lose their jobs and ties to the community. Instead of being "gone" for months, they're recovering for a few days or a week, and then back to work.

Juvenile crime punished by caning, too. Public, and broadcast on the internet.