Valve cover/Cylinder head weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After further investigation after work just now I’ve found out I do in fact have provisions for the center bolt covers. I didn’t know these heads had that provision until now and my day has been made. Makes me wonder why the builder didn’t do that to begin witho_O:banghead:

I guess I’ll start shopping for valve covers!

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good. :waytogo: Keep in mind, as @Schurkey said, you may still need shorter Poly-Locks. My roller rockers came with short ones, the "normal" ones I had were still too tall.
In the case of needing shorter locks what should I look for? Brand? Dimensions? I don’t want to buy the same thing I already have by accident.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m going to look for 4” tall covers like what I have that way I can just bolt them on and proceed to party. Are baffles necessary or should I look for covers without them?

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are stock stamped steel rockers,I'm guessing the studs are stock 3/8"-24 thread. If so then regular ol stock luck nuts will work and you can run factory covers. If you decide to run tall covers then yes you want a baffle at least under the PCV valve. Putting a baffle under the filler hole will make pouring oil in a slow tedious task.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If you want your PCV valve to suck oil directly into the Throttle Body's vacuum port, you want baffles there. at least. Mine are smooth otherwise.
I know what you meant to write, but it looks to me like you wrote it backwards. :) You DO want a baffle under the PCV, because without one, it will definitely suck oil. Been there, done that, back when dinosaurs still roamed the Earth and I had a set of those super cool cast aluminum Mickey Thompson finned valve covers on my '69 Chevelle. No baffle = smoke show

Richard