Valve cover/Cylinder head weirdness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I've been on here but I'm finally tearing into my truck once again, fueled by my newfound confidence (or stupidity, we'll find out which it is soon enough). And while the interior remodel is waiting for carpet to show up I've decided to defeat the valve cover leak that has tortured me since I swapped this motor into the truck, and that is where I need the help of you lovely peoples. There is a lot of suspicious and perhaps even shoddy work on the top end of this motor, what do you think?

Here's what I'm dealing with...

Valve cover bolt hole clearancing:
You must be registered for see images attach

Top view:

I believe these are 1/4x20 allen bolts and the pressure spreading thingy used to secure the valve cover: (seems small compared to every other bolt doing this job that I've seen)

Bolt hole in the cylinder head slightly off center:

As you likely have noticed I had resorted to using obscene amounts of RTV in an attempt to stem the tide, but to no avail. More info to come.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I speculate that the engine builder used heads that would fit the OEM center bolt style valve covers, but because the valvetrain is aftermarket he had to improvise with these taller ones.

A number I found:

Valvetrain exposed:

All the written information I have about these heads:

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm unsure of how to proceed. There is a bolt hole on each head that is stripped out and I haven't been brave enough to try and cut new threads before. I'll possibly try that first, since it's the easiest option. I've wondered whether or not I should just get comparable heads and swap them and be done with it...But that's expensive and labor intensive. But if that is what solves my issue then that's what I'll do. What do you wise folk say?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can switch to center bolt valve covers, they are available in "tall" sizes too. I have them on my 88 with aluminum heads. I use those rubber gaskets and haven't leaked a drop (except trough the bolt holes until I added O-rings there) in 4 years now :waytogo:

www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-130

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I speculate that the engine builder used heads that would fit the OEM center bolt style valve covers, but because the valvetrain is aftermarket he had to improvise with these taller ones.

A number I found:

Valvetrain exposed:

All the written information I have about these heads:
He failed to mention that he screwed it all up putting it together.
Monkey's with tools,,,,gotta love 'em!

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can switch to center bolt valve covers, they are available in "tall" sizes too. I have them on my 88 with aluminum heads. I use those rubber gaskets and haven't leaked a drop (except trough the bolt holes until I added O-rings there) in 4 years now :waytogo:

www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-141-130

I’d do this if I could but I don’t think the aftermarket rocker studs won’t allow for that solution.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d do this if I could but I don’t think the aftermarket rocker studs won’t allow for that solution.
Kinda like these with 7/16" screw in studs, 3/8" rockers, chromoly push rods, and guide plates? Mine fit fine ;) YMMV