Torque app for android.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That is exactly what 'codes and code definitions means'.

Will it show the full data stream? And by this I do not mean 'will it wrk as a crappy generic OBD II code reader.' I mean will it allow me to view, In real time, what's going on inside the motor via sensor outputs. Such as fuel trim, coolant temp, O2 sensor voltages, MAF volume etc etc.

I do not need a 'code reader' I need a 'scan tool with data stream'.

Well, that's a yes an no answer.

Whatever PID's are defined (or user defined) it will read.

Basically, whatever sensor data the PCM can see it can, if you set it up properly.

This is kind of "in between" a code reader and a scanner.

It will not initiate any systems tests such as cylinder shutoff or TDCO intitate on a diesel and such.

You need bidirectional to do that.

I think it has logging capability, but it is limited.

It cannot access freeze frame data either.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yes, Baiscally whatever sensor your truck has, this displays it in realtime

Yes, and no.

If you define the PID it can read it. It has some already defined, mostly generic ones.

It cannot read all by default.

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so this might not go as far as I'm hoping. But $5 software will only go so far I suppose. Is anybody aware of an app that's is two-way capable? iPhone or android, prefer android.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Ok, so this might not go as far as I'm hoping. But $5 software will only go so far I suppose. Is anybody aware of an app that's is two-way capable? iPhone or android, prefer android.

All I know of is laptop software/hardware. Other than that, you're into dealer level service tools like a TechII or similar.

An elm327 chip interface (which nearly everything under 100 bucks is) will not do bidirectional. The only thing an ELM327 interface will do is clear fault codes.

Stuff like Palmer Performance Scan XL does a lot with an ELM327 interface, but even that is not bidirectional. It will do data logging and it wil read freeze frame data. Dash Command is their Iphone app, but not bidirectional either. Not sure if they offer Android.

Scan XL isn't cheap either. It was around 300 bucks when I bought it and I think it's gone up since then. Then I had to buy the GM enhanced package on top of that. Was another 100 IIRC. It is a very polished user interface though.

About the cheapest piece of software/hardware I've found is a program called "car code" http://www.obd-2.com/. It's bidirectional. about 150 bucks now I think. I got mine on sale at 60 bucks many years ago. It is a very powerful, but it is very "UN-user friendly". There are no real help files and you have to figure it out mostly for yourself. I had an easy time of it, but I'm operating on a different level than most average car guys. The web site will give you an idea of what you are in for, but once you learn it there's nearly nothing it can't access. Live data stream, freeze frame data, system tests, logging, dashboards, etc. But boy-o-boy is it a PITA to learn.....

There are others out there, but I can't pull any specific names out of the ol' gray matter right now....

Last edited:

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's some good info there GW, I wonder if there is any software emulators so that I could run the laptop software on my tablet? I guess I could just gear up for my laptop, but the tablet is so much easier to pack around.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
That's some good info there GW, I wonder if there is any software emulators so that I could run the laptop software on my tablet? I guess I could just gear up for my laptop, but the tablet is so much easier to pack around.

Dunno, you're out of my depth there. I would think you'll have a hard time of it since I've had a devil of a time getting most of my software compatible with Win7 let alone a different OS altogether.

I've resorted to running a virtual machine with some, even embedded XP in Win7 premium has troubles with some.

Big problem is getting a reliable connection to a port where the hardware is connected. Most don't like "bumps" in the connectivity.

I have a dedicated XP laptop for the ones that are just a plain ol' biotch. But that laptop is getting old and suspect now. It's been bumped around a lot. It's also big, Toshiba Satelite P30 with a 17" screen. Great for writing .cal files, PITA in the interior of a vehicle.

CarCode is one of those Biotches that almost refuses to run on anything that's not XP. It wil on Vista, but man......Vista. :rolleyes:

I'm actually thinking of picking up a used Mil Spec toughbook (we use em on the aircraft but the older "police" versions are the same) to dedicate to my car software. Run XP SP3 and no worries about internet hook up as it will never be connected to anything but the vehicles I work on. Moving .bin files around it easy enough with removable media and less worries if I drop the laptop.

The older toughbooks are getting pretty inexpensive lately.

No one wants an older PII, PIII or P4 much anymore.....works great for car software though.

:)

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I've got an old Dell 17" but the battery is cooked, and my current 15" is Vista.

The Toughbook idea of yours is great, might have to look into that. I just really miss using the Snap On Solus or Modus's that I use to have access to. Heck I even miss the Red Brick every now and again.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Yeah I've got an old Dell 17" but the battery is cooked, and my current 15" is Vista.

The Toughbook idea of yours is great, might have to look into that. I just really miss using the Snap On Solus or Modus's that I use to have access to. Heck I even miss the Red Brick every now and again.

Only thing is the batteries are usually toast and the hard drive caddy is usually missing.

Available, but pricey.

Better off to spend a few more bucks on one that is running and just find a battery.

I have an inverter built into the truck so battery life isn't a big issue when I'm "tuning". I carry a portable one when doing other peoples vehicles.

I plug in to a wall socket when we're running on the chassis dyno and flashing cals one after the other.

Tuning on battery power is pretty "dodgey" anyways. Battery dies during a reflash and that expensive PCM just became a nice doorstop.....
You must be registered for see images attach

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that would suck. Not really looking at getting into re flashing but it would sure be nice to see everything going on. Thanks for all the input GW, lots of homework now while I try and decide what to buy.