Using BFX OBDII reader for CMP offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I purchased the BFX OBDII reader (Android WiFi version) and downloaded the Torque Pro app. I was able to connect the two and see general engine operation information but not able to see CMP Offset on my 1997 C1500.
I read somewhere that the DashCommand app would allow me to read CMP Offset so I downloded the app but it will not connect with the BFX OBDII reader.

Anyone have any insight how to get the DashCommand app to connect to the BFX? If I am successful in getting a connection anyone have any success reading CMP Offset with Dash Command?

I am on the list for the commiunity scan tool but it appears it will be a while (2-3 months) before I work my way to the top so I'm still looking for viable alternatives. I am not willing to pay my local dealer or one of the local independent shops to learn how to set the CMP Offset at shop labor rates these days.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you will need to go into settings or options in Dash Command. It should ask at start up the first time. Select ELM.
I think you will also need to purchase the extended GM PIDS, $9.99
I could not get Torque Pro to do it but Dash Command will for sure.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have BFX Bluetooth and Dash Command. You have to buy the In App Purchase for your GM year, then you should be fine, I’m very happy with it. Transmission Temperature as well.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
I have tried manually adding a PID for CMP to Torque Pro based on some posted information but "221301" OBD Mode did not work for my truck.

I tried selecting ELM in Dash Command but it did not connect. I can always try again.

My BFX is Wi-Fi rather than bluetooth, not sure if that is my problem.

I had heard about needing to purchase the extended GM PIDs but until I get connected I don't want to add more money to the effort.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.
I have tried manually adding a PID for CMP to Torque Pro based on some posted information but "221301" OBD Mode did not work for my truck.

I tried selecting ELM in Dash Command but it did not connect. I can always try again.

My BFX is Wi-Fi rather than bluetooth, not sure if that is my problem.

I had heard about needing to purchase the extended GM PIDs but until I get connected I don't want to add more money to the effort.
You know, I mistakenly said Bluetooth, mine is also Wi-Fi. I also am using my Apple I-Phone. You still won’t get PID
GM.Engine.CR(Cam Retard) until you pay extra $10.00 for specific year GM option. Not sure why you having trouble connecting though. You mentioned “Torque Pro” above, but I thought you were trying this with Dash Command?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I originally tried Torque Pro but while I was able to communicate I was not able to read CMP Offset so I am trying the Dash Command app hoping that it will provide the ability to read CMP Offset.

I have not had a chance to retry connecting the Dash Command. Glad to hear that it worked for you (Caman96) that gives me hope that I will eventually be succesful.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I still have not been able to get Dash Command app to connect to my BAFX OBDII reader.

I am operating in the demo mode (have not purchased yet) but would like to ensure I can get a connection before i purchase.

I did enable demo mode in the optoins.

Any other suggestions about how to get a connection would be appreciated.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is “Demo Mode”? So, you haven’t yet made the initial $9.99 purchase? I don’t mean the “In App” GM specific purchase either, which will be another $9.99. You have to pay the initial $9.99 for App just to get your foot in the door, then the other 10 for CMP.