Torque Specs For GM Performance Parts TBI-to-Vortec Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked up a pre-owned GM Performance Parts TBI intake for Vortec heads, so it didn't have any paperwork with it. An Edelbrock Vortec intake install manual I found online says to torque to 11 ft-lbs, so I used those instructions and the torque sequence that was included. However, I'm seeing conflicting information online (as seems to be usual), so I want to verify this should be the right torque for this intake. Most of the disagreement I've found seems to vary based on which gasket is used. I'm using the Fel-Pro MS90131-2 intake gaskets, which feel like a thick plastic with in-laid rubber mating surfaces. Would anyone more experienced be able to verify my torque spec is correct for the intake and gaskets I used?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I prefer the Felpro 1255 gaskets, then use ARP bolts torqued @ 25-30 ft-lbs.

if using all stock stuff then I would do the stock 11 ft-lbs

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Edelbrock-casted Vortec intake instructions also said to use the OEM gaskets with the metal rings. 11 ft-lbs was correct for those.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the plastic/rubber gaskets are the reason all the Vortec small blocks develop intake gasket leaks. Straight trash.

Richard

Majoraslayer

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As always, no one in my crappy little town stocks what I need, so I guess I'll buy another set of intake gaskets online to replace these. Again. It's wild that the paper gaskets are somehow even more expensive than the plastic ones.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered the Edelbrock 7235 set from Amazon, and I'm going to use the 13 ft-lbs you suggested. I'll take the word of experience over online hypothetical tech debate any day. Thanks again!

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i seem to remember compairing the edelbrock ones with the felpro 1255s and determining they were the same, but this was 10+ years ago. felpros are slightly cheaper and usually easier to get FWIW. i think edelbrock recommends a certain sealer but i have never had an issue with UltraGrey. more recently i have been using Hondabond because i got a deal on it.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i seem to remember compairing the edelbrock ones with the felpro 1255s and determining they were the same, but this was 10+ years ago. felpros are slightly cheaper and usually easier to get FWIW. i think edelbrock recommends a certain sealer but i have never had an issue with UltraGrey. more recently i have been using Hondabond because i got a deal on it.
I use Gasgasinch, but it is the same as contact or rubber cement. You coat the gasket and cylinder head face. I use 2" carb studs to line it all up, that way I can drop the intake straight down, without sliding the gaskets or smearing the RTV on the ends.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use Gasgasinch, but it is the same as contact or rubber cement. You coat the gasket and cylinder head face. I use 2" carb studs to line it all up, that way I can drop the intake straight down, without sliding the gaskets or smearing the RTV on the ends.
nice, ive always used weatherstrip adhesive or contact cement to hold the gaskets in place. then RTV on the lifter valley walls and around the water jackets if they are heavily pitted.