Timing Question for Aftermarket Cam.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so im running a lunati cam in my truck, and just was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for my initial timing setting. the cam is a Lunati 10120100LK.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lunati-Bar...-10120100LK-/192903644527?hash=item2ce9f4056f here is a link to the specs.

i always unplug the wire under the dash when i set my timing, and right now its set at about 7 degrees btdc. old timers tell me i should be able to crank the timing up more, but im kind of hesitant. truck runs good has a stock tune, but i feel like it could use a bit more timing. just wondering if anyone has any info they would like to share.

should mention im running 9.2:1 compression and 91 octane. stock ignition

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
That would depend on your initial cam timing, did you set the cam timing with a degree wheel or just bolt it up and call it good?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Lunati Voodoo 10120700LK in my 88 350 its build sheet shows 4* advanced.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10120700lk

If you want more torque off the line you can go with that or even advance it further. If you want more top end, retard the cam timing, I set mine 4* back on the crank which means 2* on the cam with this timing gear set. You are setting the timing event between valves to piston position with this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/clo-c-3023x

Spark timing is a different matter. Depending on your computer, you may have the Initial Spark Timing option in your "scalars" parameter. You set your dizzy and enter what you did so it knows when and where to add/pull spark. Initial timing is only to help start your engine, then the ECM/PCM should take over. If you can't tune your spark tables, you can fool the computer into thinking it's at one setting, instead of actual by changing your initial timing. HTH

xx94Z71xx

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i pretty much just bolted up and went. my cam card says 4 degree advance also. i used a brand double row timing set, but only had 1 keyway for 0.

im also looking at getting something done with the computer. either send it out to get programmed or thought about trying one from hypertech or jet.

not complaining at all. Runs great, i just could use a little more bottom end. either that or im too used to driving my nova. i forget this truck weighs like 4700 pounds lol. id hate to have to pull the timing cover right now as it all buttoned up good.