Timing cover not fitting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex7295

Reaction score
Okay so i am beyond stumped and frustrated. So im doing a cam swap on my 98 5.7L vortec. Got a kit from comp cams with the new camshaft, lifters and double row timing chain set. There is nothing stated that a new timing cover is needed but in trying to install an oem cover as it needs the hole for the crankshaft position sensor, but the cover does not fit with the double row chain!!! The cover hits the cam gear and leaves a gap between the cover and block.

Has anyone ever had this issue and if so what was the solution?? Can i just run the stock single row chain? Or is there another cover i can buy?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so i am beyond stumped and frustrated. So im doing a cam swap on my 98 5.7L vortec. Got a kit from comp cams with the new camshaft, lifters and double row timing chain set. There is nothing stated that a new timing cover is needed but in trying to install an oem cover as it needs the hole for the crankshaft position sensor, but the cover does not fit with the double row chain!!! The cover hits the cam gear and leaves a gap between the cover and block.

Has anyone ever had this issue and if so what was the solution?? Can i just run the stock single row chain? Or is there another cover i can buy?
Get a single roller chain. I would return the OEM cover and get a Holley aluminum cover. The plastic ones leak in no time.

Alex7295

Reaction score
I will toss the old chain and gear set back on for now but its a little worn out (290,000 mi) Just need to get it running this weekend as its taking up space in my work. Will pick up a new set and replace the cover later.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cloyes makes a nice single roller. I think I'm going to switch to the Holley cover myself at some point too.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cloyes makes a nice single roller. I think I'm going to switch to the Holley cover myself at some point too.
Single roller should not be hard to find. Cloyes 9-1157 is 3 way adjustable as well.

You must be registered for see images attach