About cam time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering or trying to find out what would be the best cam to put in my stock motor
Your best bet is to call your favorite cam company. Random internet advice is just good for getting ideas. You'll want someone with experience for a sanity check.

the biggest you can go without machine work on a Vortec head is .470. Beehive springs will increase the lift you can go with.
Beehive LS2/LS6 springs, Comp Cams 787-16 retainers, and umbrella valve seals will get you to .530" lift.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Your best bet is to call your favorite cam company. Random internet advice is just good for getting ideas. You'll want someone with experience for a sanity check.

Beehive LS2/LS6 springs, Comp Cams 787-16 retainers, and umbrella valve seals will get you to .530" lift.

Do they? I recently did a search and it looked like those springs and those retainers install around 1.70" which gets you .450" without offset keepers. If you have first hand observations that are different I'd love to hear.

The Ramjet cam is good for a meager bump all around with some 1.6 RR, but it won't turn it into a rip roaring giggity machine. For that I think you're going to want some boost.

MuDDnsucH

Reaction score

I've honestly never been able to cash a sanity check

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm running a .507/.515" lift Lunati cam on untouched Vortec heads in WCJr. I did the measurements when I assembled the heads, and I could go up to .530" with safe clearance for the umbrella valve seals. I called Lunati and told them I was going to be using the truck on the street with some towing and that I wanted plenty of performance. I told them I was able to run up to .530" lift and that I had Vortec heads and they spec'd the cam I have.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running a .507/.515" lift Lunati cam on untouched Vortec heads in WCJr. I did the measurements when I assembled the heads, and I could go up to .530" with safe clearance for the umbrella valve seals. I called Lunati and told them I was going to be using the truck on the street with some towing and that I wanted plenty of performance. I told them I was able to run up to .530" lift and that I had Vortec heads and they spec'd the cam I have.

What was your installed height?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
someone already said it but call you favorite cam manufacturer. or a couple. compare, watch some engine masters and see how those cams lay out with your new found intelligence.

Id personally look into something along the lines of the comp extreme energy or comparable. Unfortunately i think youll have to settle with just mediocre giggity machine, albeit everyones seat of the pants dyno are non comparable. anyways its a spider injected vortec 5.7. Without a ton of changing and tuning your gonna find limits the easy way or hard way.

Dont forget the trans, the 60e isnt gonna be shy to tell you its not fond of abuse or more power going into it. "bigger"cam means more converter and better parts etc etc.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
someone already said it but call you favorite cam manufacturer. or a couple. compare, watch some engine masters and see how those cams lay out with your new found intelligence.

Id personally look into something along the lines of the comp extreme energy or comparable. Unfortunately i think youll have to settle with just mediocre giggity machine, albeit everyones seat of the pants dyno are non comparable. anyways its a spider injected vortec 5.7. Without a ton of changing and tuning your gonna find limits the easy way or hard way.

Dont forget the trans, the 60e isnt gonna be shy to tell you its not fond of abuse or more power going into it. "bigger"cam means more converter and better parts etc etc.
The OP has a NV4500 in his truck. I would personally swap to the Mexican GMT800 L31 P59 tune in a DBC P59, then tuning becomes easy for anybody that can tune a LS. I have the untouched file as both a .BIN for Universal Patcher/TunerproRT/PCM Hammer and .HPT file for HPTuners. The Mexican P59 tune was setup for a L31/NV4500 from GM. The upgrade spider was good for ~450 hp at 70 psi fuel pressure on my 383. He will not find the limit of the spider with stock Vortec heads on a 350 with anything resembling a streetable cam for his truck.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
70 psi means upgraded pump at least. whats the duty cycle at 70psi to support 450. im assuming your suggesting that because without alcohol i havent seen many vortec headed engines past that without a power adder.