Time to Get Serious With 4L60e/4L65e Cooling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
If you get the MAX cooler make sure you buy the one with the external bypass, because I don't think those coolers have the internal LPD despite TruCool's advertising to the contrary.......

Got it. I found a killer deal on that thermostat you linked earlier and it should be here by the 4th [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Curt you definitely made me wonder abt getting a temp gauge for my burb when I take it out in the mts. Really makes you think how often you could've overheated had you not had a gauge.

Curt

Reaction score
@Curt you definitely made me wonder abt getting a temp gauge for my burb when I take it out in the mts. Really makes you think how often you could've overheated had you not had a gauge.
Honestly, the gauge is a necessity. It was nice not having any issues the whole way to the lake (minus that last 5 minutes of course) but without that gauge I would've been oblivious. That gauge saved the transmission 100%. I would've drove normally on cooked fluid and probably would've toasted the brand new (EDIT: by brand new I'm talking about 10k+ miles on the trans, I wouldn't tow during break-in) transmission. Having my trans temp gauge, I now know why this truck has killed 3 other 4L60e's without explanation.

Last edited:

Curt

Reaction score
Have u checked the oil since towing the boat? How's it look an smell?

Just checked it right now, level is perfect and oil smells normal. Nothing unusual or concerning going on there. Also just checked the trans fluid and it looks normal as well. Light pink color, although oddly enough the fluid does smell slightly burnt. I expected the trans fluid to look darker for the temps it experienced. The burnt smell though, no surprises there.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Light pink color, although oddly enough the fluid does smell slightly burnt.
Time to change your fluid, even in the TC. I managed to burn up an E4OD trans in my 90 Ford Diesel F250HD SCLB 4X4 @ ~50,000 Miles, while towing an empty trailer in OD, always kept it in 3rd when loaded (flat land). Fluid smelled burnt, looked clean, I opened one cooling line and kept pumping out stinking oil and replacing with fresh oil - no joy! Cost me $2500 in '91! Just saying, YMMV.

Curt

Reaction score
Time to change your fluid, even in the TC. I managed to burn up an E4OD trans in my 90 Ford Diesel F250HD SCLB 4X4 @ ~50,000 Miles, while towing an empty trailer in OD, always kept it in 3rd when loaded (flat land). Fluid smelled burnt, looked clean, I opened one cooling line and kept pumping out stinking oil and replacing with fresh oil - no joy! Cost me $2500 in '91! Just saying, YMMV.

Yes sir, that’s the plan! New DEXRON-VI fluid, filter, and gasket along with all the other components to make the new cooler work.

Also I should note, I have not started nor drove the truck since the trip. She sits til I have everything to refresh her. Doing the fuel injectors this weekend then all parts for the trans cooler will be ordered.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes sir, that’s the plan! New DEXRON-VI fluid, filter, and gasket along with all the other components to make the new cooler work.

Is Dexron VI a significant upgrade over Dexron III?
Between a fully synthetic DexronIII and a 'synthetic based' Dexron VI - which would likely be better?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is Dexron VI a significant upgrade over Dexron III?
Between a fully synthetic DexronIII and a 'synthetic based' Dexron VI - which would likely be better?

From my very limited research it seems like Dex 6 is a better fluid... Except when it isn't. Clear as mud right?

To clarify a little I think it's a much better option than Dex 3 for what it was actually designed for, an automatic transmission fluid. But things get tricky when you start talking other applications like transfer cases. There's a GM service bulletin that states to use GM 88861800 (ACDelco 10-4033) manual transmission fluid instead of Dexron 6 in any transfer case which originally called for Dexron 3.