Time to Get Serious With 4L60e/4L65e Cooling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do have a question regarding the pan though @alpinecrick, do you use the regular 4L60e filter or do you use the deep pan 60e filter?

I use the deep filter with my CRF's. I'm pretty sure my friend with the DeRale uses a deep filter too.

I called both CRF and DeRale--and in both cases--nobody could tell me what filter the pans should use. When they couldn't answer my question then, they both said they would call me back with an answer. After a week, I called them back, they still didn't have an answer. Hysterical..........

With the tires in your sig photo you should be able to easily run 75+ on the freeway with 3.73's or even 4.10's and keep up fuel mileage.

I bought my 01 Sierra about 8 years ago with 35k on it--it still had the original P245 tires. With those tires the truck was "nervous" going down the road, and every little pothole, RR tracks, or washboard road was an adventure driving it. Putting LT265/75's on it made it ride and "roll" through the bumps noticeably better. But it also slowed down the acceleration, especially from a standing start or from slow speed.

With tires larger than the usual P or LT 245 tires the GMT400 and 5.7 or the GMT800 and 5.3 came with, I think 4.10 gears would keep both RPM's and the TQ in a happier place.

Last edited:

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Did you replace the radiator when you replaced the failed transmissions? The debris from a failed trans ends up plugging the cooler. I would replace the radiator if you have not done it and fit the M7B. Also ONLY tow in 3rd gear not OD. Also delete the PWM function on the torque converter. The added slip from PWM will cause the trans to run hot. PWM can be deleted mechanically with a revised PWM valve in the valve body.

FWIW I have 5.13 gears, LT285/70R16s and a 4L85E with a shorter overdrive and still run 85-90 mph for hours at a time on the highway. Fuel economy is really no worse than it ever has been. Still see 17-18 mpg running 75-85 mph turning about 3,400 rpm @ 85. When I had 3.42 gears and stock size P235/75R15s I tested it once at 70-75 mph and I got the same mileage in 3rd gear at 3,000 rpm as I did in OD at 2,000.

Yeah, new radiator each time it happened. I can't edit my OP but I probably should've prefaced that I realistically will only be towing with this vehicle occasionally. We got a boosted H2 that we typically tow with, but I was waiting for parts to come in this past weekend so the suburban ended up towing the boat. Not really looking to convert the suburban to a hardcore towing rig, just a truck that I can hook a trailer up to once in a while and not worry about it. Keeping in mind this is still my daily and long road trip vehicle of choice.

I use the deep filter with my CRF's. I'm pretty sure my friend with the DeRale uses a deep filter too.

I called both CRF and DeRale--and in both cases--nobody could tell me what filter the pans should use. When they couldn't answer my question then, they both said they would call me back with an answer. After a week, I called them back, they still didn't have an answer. Hysterical..........

With the tires in your sig photo you should be able to easily run 75+ on the freeway with 3.73's or even 4.10's and keep up fuel mileage.

I bought my 01 Sierra about 8 years ago with 35k on it--it still had the original P245 tires. With those tires the truck was "nervous" going down the road, and every little pothole, RR tracks, or washboard road was an adventure driving it. Putting LT265/75's on it made it ride and "roll" through the bumps noticeably better. But it also slowed down the acceleration, especially from a standing start or from slow speed.

With tires larger than the usual P or LT 245 tires the GMT400 and 5.7 or the GMT800 and 5.3 came with, I think 4.10 gears would keep both RPM's and the TQ in a happier place.
Dang, sounds like they need to improve in their customer service department... Thanks for the filter guidance, I added the deep pan filter to the list.

I know everyone is telling me to swap gears, and I knew it from the start. Like I said, I am fully aware that 3.42's aren't ideal for a truck running 33's but oddly enough I've never had an issue with acceleration or power with the truck. If I somehow find a way to break the Detriot TrueTrac in the rear, I'll consider re-gearing the front and rear diff. For now, I'm going to get the utility out of the money I spent replacing the G80 that exploded in there.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a new Tru-Cool ldp-47391 in my hands and the back box specs say it IS LDP.

You must be registered for see images attach

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine why ca wouldn't allow a trans swap, have you called one of the local referees?

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
I couldn't imagine why ca wouldn't allow a trans swap, have you called one of the local referees?
Never called, although I was always under the impression if you had to tamper with the computers, it makes the vehicle unsmoggable. For right now, like I stated in the other posts, being that I just spent the money on this brand new set-up I'm going to get my money's worth out of it. If/once it breaks, I'll consider swapping in different parts. Be 4.10 gears or a 4L80e, I'll cross that path if/when it comes. Either ways, upgrading the cooling system for the transmission is never a bad idea.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a new Tru-Cool ldp-47391 in my hands and the back box specs say it IS LDP.

Interesting the 4739 has an asterisk that says it has the "cold weather bypass", but the 47391 doesn't. I wonder if the 4739 doesn't have LPD but instead has a cold weather bypass is a separate part that comes with the cooler........

Also, the TruCool Max coolers appear to be plate & fin rather than stacked plate. Plate & fin are more efficient than tube and fin but not as efficient as stacked plate.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my tranny shop install a Tru-Cooler Part# 20-4590 28k BTU which is 11x11x1. My temps went from over 200s down to 165s to 190s..

I tow roughly 7k lbs. I'm very happy tower now!!! lol

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

With the Max series of coolers, what TruCool is calling a LPD is a separate thermal bypass. That's the blue thingie with 2 in, 2 out tubes. It's not a true LPD like the stacked plate coolers. Their literature is kind've misleading.