Vicious 1-2 Shift on 4L60E.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I've got an extremely rough 1-2 shift on my 4L60E and it's making the truck nearly undriveable.

The truck is the GMT400 in my sig, it is a 1994 GMC Sierra K1500 with the original TBI 350 and a reman 4L60E.

The only code I have is for the EGR valve. The EGR valve hose is disconnected as the valve isn't holding vacuum and needs to be replaced. I've had it like that long before I've had these transmission issues. I know someone is going to ask, and yes I have replaced the TPS with an ACDelco. That was one of the first things I did lol.

So, what's it doing? When driving, the truck has a violent 1-2 shift. And by violent, I mean that it has shifted so hard that it has cracked my dash in several spots (not that that's exactly hard to do in these trucks lol). No other gear does it, 2-3 is smooth, 3-4 is very smooth, and all downshifts feel fine. It doesn't clunk going into drive or reverse, the transmission fluid level is right where it needs to be, and I measure it exactly how the owners manual tells me to. It does it regardless of temperature; if it's below freezing outside, or if I'm in 110 degree Oklahoma heat it still shifts rough. RPM's don't usually make a difference either, if I'm shifting at 2200 rpm going through a parking lot, shifting at 3000 rpm when driving normally, or 4700 rpm when going WOT, it still shifts uncomfortably rough. Sometimes if it's an especially rough shift at high RPM's, the engine kinda stutters and bogs down before it goes back to normal. My assumption is that it's doing this because the line pressure for the shift was too high and maybe the torque converter didn't have enough fluid. But that also could be because of my worn out injectors. Also, there is no delay in shifting, it doesn't seem like the trans is slipping at all, honestly it feels great other than that hard and immediate 1-2 shift.

Rarely, it will shift smoother than usual. I've noticed it most when driving around a corner at an intersection or something, sometimes it shifts when I'm partially though the corner and it almost feels normal. It's not smooth every time, but I'd say it's a 35/65 split between smooth and rough when going around corners. Also, after I dropped the pan and replaced the 1-2 accumulator piston and springs, it will occasionally shift much smoother if I keep the RPM's under 3k. Unfortunately it's still not consistent.

Alright, now here's what's been done to the truck. At 270k miles, the transmission cooler got clogged and the transmission cooked itself. I cleaned the lines, cleaned the transmission coolers, and made sure every last bit of junk was out of the system. I replaced the transmission with a remanufactured one, and from day one it's shifted hard 1-2. After 1k miles, I replaced the transmission fluid and filter with Dex 6 and a ACDelco filter, I did the same procedure again 5k miles later. Nothing I did changed how the truck shifted. At 282k miles, I took a lot of things apart to fix the many engine oil leaks, and while I was there I replaced all the wires going to the transmission connector. I had issues with the TCC wire not grounding correctly and the rest of the harness was in rough shape, so it got a new connector and new wires. That didn't change anything, so I decided to tackle the infamous 1-2 shift accumulator piston. I took the pan off, took the accumulator housing off, and the piston was still the pinned type, and it had a single spring that fit right on the inside edge of the 1-2 piston. Nothing seemed damaged, nothing was scorched or had any marks on it. I took that system apart, and replaced the piston with the Sonnax pin-less piston that replaced the pin with a small ball bearing, I also changed the single spring to the big outside and small inside spring type that a 94 should have stock (from my research). I put it back together and took it for a drive. The first 1-2 shift was very smooth, the second 1-2 shift was also smooth. After that, it started to get harsher and harsher, and after about 6 first to second shifts it was right back to where it was before. I've had to drive the truck about 500 miles since then, and I'd say the shifting has only gotten worse.

I may take the pan back off and swap the double springs for the single spring like how it was before. I've read that that's how the newer 4L60E's are set up, so maybe it would help. I'm not confident that will fix the issue though. There was nothing visibly wrong with the old piston.

Anyways, I'm no transmission expert and now I'm stumped and don't know what my next step should be. Any help diagnosing or any ideas on what I should tackle next would be very appreciated!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, look at the transmission data (along with the engine data).

I'd be especially interested in the shift adaption for 2nd gear.

MAYBE you clear the adaptions, and it re-learns how to shift. Downside is that maybe it's shifting that hard due to an actual fault in the trans.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, look at the transmission data (along with the engine data).

I'd be especially interested in the shift adaption for 2nd gear.

MAYBE you clear the adaptions, and it re-learns how to shift. Downside is that maybe it's shifting that hard due to an actual fault in the trans.
Interesting, I had no idea that these early 4L60E's had adaptive shift patterns. I don't think the adaptations have ever been changed through the 4 different transmissions this truck has had through its life. That might actually help. Unfortunately I don't even know where to start on OBD1 scanners. The ones I've seen people recommend online are just too expensive for me to justify.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My son's truck has a 4L60e with some upgrades like the Corvette Servo and it shifts very hard on the 1-2. The whole dash rattles and it will chirp the tires at very light throttle.

The only way to stop it is back off the gas right before it shifts. That doesn't help you fix the actual problem though.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming that all "E" transmissions have shift adaption strategies.

Worth a look, if you can obtain a scan tool.

The '700 in my '88 has the "Corvette" servo, and it's got a rougher-than-I-prefer 1--2 shift..but not tire-chirping.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
check the 1-2 accumulator and post the order of stuff as it comes out of the housing
Right, when you drop the accumulator housing, the Sonnax piston is on top, underneath that is the two springs, then the ball bearing from the Sonnax kit sits in the hole where the pin would go. So the piston is pressed up against the transmission body. (separator plate I think it's called?)

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just wanted to update the thread with some more information I've found.

Inside the transmission is an EPC solenoid. From what I've read, it controls the line pressure for the whole transmission. The PCM controls the amperage for this solenoid, as the amperage gets lower, the line pressure gets higher. As the amperage goes up, the line pressure gets lower. Sometimes the PCM can fail and set the EPC amperage much too low, causing the line pressure to go much higher than it should.

I watched a video of a guy who had a 1994 G30 with the TBI 350 and 4L60E, just like my truck has. He was diagnosing a harsh 1-2 shift. He hooked up a multimeter to the EPC control wire and a pressure gauge for the transmission fluid. Wouldn't you know it, the amperage from the PCM was closer to 0.3a rather than the 1.07a that it's intended to be at. This of course set the line pressure to well over 100 psi at idle. He swapped the PCM for a new one, changed the PROM chip, and now amperage was at the intended 1.07a, which made the line pressure go down to normal.

I figure it's a long shot, but I'll stick a multimeter to the wires tonight. Regardless of what I find, I'll probably just swap the PCM with a new one just to see if it changes anything. I don't want to tear into the transmission again just yet, so I'm trying everything I can think of on the engine and electrical side of things.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas, I'm determined to fix this now!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thinking you're on the right track.

my 95 "transmission problem" (code 82) turned out to be the ecu, which was a long shot.
only code beside 12, was 82, no check engine light on.
like you, i pretty much tested out everything else before suspecting the ecu.

i got a remaned AC delco replacement.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what is the # on your accumulator housing? 94 should NOT have dual springs unless you are using a late housing. do you know the colours? with the piston against the separator plate a stiffer spring actually makes a softer shift in this instance...

did you play around with the separator plate holes or install an aftermarket servo? was the 2-4 servo pin travel checked? a loose band can cause a harsh 1-2 shift...

Last edited: