Thoughts on Jet Performance Programmer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How hard is it to use?

I've only used it a couple of times so far but I've been able to find my way around it with minimal assistance from others here. In your other thread where we were talking about this I managed to pull up the screen for tire size and speedometer corrections in about five minutes even though I'd never looked for it before. It's old software but IMO it's pretty intuitive and easy.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/cant-find-vssb-module-on-97-c1500.63573/post-1340133

You can download a demo of the DST software here for free if you want to play around with it before buying.

https://jetchip.com/software-updates/

Here's another thread with some more discussion on DST. Part number 14005 is what you need to interface with your '97 PCM.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/jet-dynamic-spectrum-tuner.59593/

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was also told by the exhuast shop I got my exhaust done at recommended I hot my 2 rear o2 sensors deleted. Would I be able to do that with the JET DST?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was also told by the exhuast shop I got my exhaust done at recommended I hot my 2 rear o2 sensors deleted. Would I be able to do that with the JET DST?

Yes. Yet another reason to go with DST over the handheld programmer. The handheld won't do anything for disabling diagnostic codes or changing anything emissions related while DST can do all of that.

DST is a full featured tuning software comparable to HPTuners or EFILive. You could tune your future 383 swap with DST while keeping the stock '97 PCM, no need for the 0411 PCM swap unless you want to do something very specific that the stock '97 PCM won't support.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay thanks I think I could definitely figure some of this out with a little bit of help. When I end buying DST I'll need have help on the little things like that unless I can play around with it a little and figure it out myself.

Before I buy it I need to rummage through some of my old stuff and find an old laptop that uses windows. It might be a bit before I buy tho.

Thanks for your input, will definitely be asking you more questions about DST if I have anymore.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No problem. There are a few other members here who have DST and are much more experienced with tuning than I am, I'm sure they could help you with more detailed questions. So far the only things I've used DST for are disabling VATS, disabling diagnostic codes, and changing/disabling speed limiters. All of those things were super easy.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll need to download the DST software and browse through it.

FYI, the DST software on the JET website seems to be outdated compared to what's being shipped out with recent orders. @1998_K1500_Sub made the latest version of the software available for download, here's a link to the post.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/jet-dynamic-spectrum-tuner.59593/post-1286240

Most recent version on the website is 2.23, while the software that came on the flash drive in my order is the version in that post (2.32).

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
FYI, the DST software on the JET website seems to be outdated compared to what's being shipped out with recent orders. @1998_K1500_Sub made the latest version of the software available for download, here's a link to the post.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/jet-dynamic-spectrum-tuner.59593/post-1286240

Most recent version on the website is 2.23, while the software that came on the flash drive in my order is the version in that post (2.32).

I wonder how much updated software matters on a PCM so outdated? Good to know nonetheless.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMO none of the gas engine "tuners" are worth the price. No real gains to be had, even though everyone that bought one claims they "feel" a difference. I guess sure, you'll feel different shifting (firmer or softer, or whatever you choose) or a more sensitive throttle, but to gain a half second in the 1/4 or anything like that, it just won't happen. Now if you're boosted or running a diesel then yes, gains you can actually feel. But for N/A gas engines, smiles per miles will be very little. Again this is just me and my thoughts

I beg to differ. My Titan ran 7 tenths of a second quicker with a Hypertech in the 1/8 mile. The first tune that went on my 97 van was also a Hypertech and it was 4 tenths quicker in the 1/8. I then gained another 3 tenths tuning the L31 myself. The L31 has a ton of power locked up in the tuning. The stock timing tables are laughable.

I ran the Hypertech WOT spark mapping for years in my L31. On the older Vortecs, Hypertech only changed the 95-105 KPA range and I smoothed the table out a bit from there for my own tune. When I went to the 0411 I used the 4.3L Hypertech spark map. The 4.3L timing works because the 4.3L is 3/4 of a 350. My L31 loved their spark tables. People that dyno tested them always saw similar results to what they advertised in their power charts.

Stock 0411 350/4L80E van tune
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

0411 with Hypertech 4.3L spark advance, torque management revised and shift points tweaked.

This was after an LS truck E-Fan and homebrew 4" CAI setup using a GM 85mm LS truck MAF. I ended up removing both because I had to put the clutch fan back on. But it did run very nicely when it was not overheating in summer.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would 0411 or P59 swap it and save a big headache. While you are at it get the 24x reluctor and some junkyard D585 coils. Mine definitely ran better with the CNP coils. I am remote mounting the coils this time around in front of the engine, away from header heat and routing the wires like a LT1.