Can't find vssb module on 97 c1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man I wish I knew how to tune stuff lol!

Simple stuff like this is a great place to start learning. I bought a copy of JET DST and have been slowly familiarizing myself with it doing easy things on my '97s. It's not really that big of a deal if you know how to use a computer. If you make a change and it isn't what you wanted, you can always revert back. You just have to make sure you have a backup saved.

Also don't wanna spend 350 dollars on a black bear tune that mess your truck up 80% of the time.

I'm sorry but that's a gross exaggeration. I know L31Max bashes Black Bear pretty regularly, but in the 11 years that I've been here I think he's just about the only one who does. I've had a Black Bear tune in my red truck for many years now and the only issue I had was breaking 4L60Es due to removed torque management, which was my fault. Justin at Black Bear advised me that this was a bad idea and I told him to do it anyway. I've had zero issues with the other aspects of the tune and it was one of the best things I've done to that truck in terms of making it more fun to drive.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure,never tried it on a passenger car or truck. The red and black wires are 12V+ and ground. The white and yellow wires are VSS in and out. Harley uses a speed sensor that reads gear teeth in the tranny and transmits the signal via a hall effect sensor. That sensor is a square wave output just like to speedo output signal coming out of the PCM on your truck.
To wire it in you would cut off female socket end and connect the red to a switched 12V source,the black wire to a good ground and the yellow wire to the speedo input. You would only use the white wire in the male connector to the PCM output for speedo.
Like I said,I have never tried this but in theory it should work.

Ultima is a Midwest Cycle part name and Jireh Cycles is a Midwest Cycle supplier that sell straight to the public. You may be able to get it for less money buying it from them.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I would not want to try and use a device like that on one of these trucks. I think that more than just the speedometer is effected by switching tire sizes, and it's not necessary to modify any wiring to correct this situation. The correct way to do it is in the PCM tune for the '96+ trucks, as mentioned earlier. I just pulled this up in JET DST, never looked for this screen before but I found it in a couple minutes. Located in Tools>Speed Calibration. This is looking at the stock tune from my '97 K1500 Suburban.

You must be registered for see images attach

If you can find anyone who has JET DST locally I think it's $100 to license an additional PCM to the hardware. It would take five minutes to do. Black Bear or any of the several other mail order tuning companies (Wester's Garage, Nelson Performance, PCM4Less etc.) may be willing to cut you a deal if the tire size correction is all you want done right now.

best97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might look into it. There's a guy in my area that does tuning but he told me he wouldn't do my 97 because he uses hptuners and they don't support anything lower than 98 which I thought was odd since 97 and 98 where pretty much the same truck computer and pcm wise.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
He's right, HPTuners only supports '98+. JET DST/TunerCAT is the only option I'm aware of that supports the '96-'97 PCMs in these trucks. Unfortunate, but it is what it is.

I'd email those four mail order tuners I listed in the last post. I bet one of them would do a tire size correction for less than the price of a full tune, and I'm pretty sure they can all do '96-'97 PCMs.